Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #1

Newbie here

Hey guys!!!

Just got a Pentax ME Super from my uncle and this is my first camera.

Just wondering what is the best lens (wide angle) for a newbie to learn up about photography?

Thanks and sorry for such a newbie question.

08-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
How wide and what is your budget? What do you have now?
08-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Currently, i'm having just the SMC Pentax M 50mm f2.8 and just sent my camera for servicing.

Is it advisable to get M 40mm lens for wide angle purposes? and also less than $60?
08-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. I have a ME Super (as well as a K-x DSLR) - its a nice camera - nice bright view finder!

I have a Pentax M 28 f3.5 which I love (and is surprisingly cost effective) but there are lots of other options as well. Pentax K and M series lenses work well, as do Takumars (with M42 adaptor) - not to mention many other brands with K mount.
For wide angle I am guessing you are probably looking for lenses with a focal length of 24 - 35mm (unless you want to go really wide).

For M series lens reviews see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/category-SMC-Pentax-M-Lenses.html

Enjoy!

Jonathan

08-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
In my opinion the 50mm is a great focal length to learn with. If you want something wider than I would start to look for something around the 28mm mark. I never owned an ME Super but from what I remember it was a great camera. Have fun.
08-28-2012, 04:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
@ Jonathan: Thanks for the info!! I know there is a difference between Pentax M mount with Pentax A mount, but not really sure with K mount. Enlighten me?
08-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by daystriker Quote
@ Jonathan: Thanks for the info!! I know there is a difference between Pentax M mount with Pentax A mount, but not really sure with K mount. Enlighten me?
There isn't really M or A mount, it's just the basic K mount, which has some extra pins in the case of A-series lenses (the reason they usually sell for more too). Nothing to worry about for you, because those pins won't make any difference anyway on the ME. I'm not sure what lens is that 50mm f/2.8 really, I think Pentax has no such lens. Anyway, the 40mm isn't considerably wider than the 50mm, I would suggest you get the M28/2.8, as it's plentiful and very nice.
08-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If it's Pentax and it's not screwmount, it's all K-mount (I think). The M and A are lens designations, with M meaning everything is manual, and with A meaning that you can set aperture using a camera dial instead of the lens' aperture ring.

08-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

THe ME Super is a K mount camera so any of the K, M, or A lenses will work on it. The M28/2.8 is a very affordable, easy to find, and descent wide lens to start with IMHO.
08-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

For your camera, the lens series look like this:

M - designed around the same time, functionally 100% compatible.
K - designed for a larger camera series, 100% compatible, don't actually say K on them, sometimes hairsplitting differences between M and K
A - more expensive than M lenses because of features you don't need
F,FA, FA-J, D-FA - way more expensive than M lenses because of features you don't need, plus a terrible focus ring
DA, DA-L - won't work in a useful way

The classic wide angle for your camera is a 28mm. These will be common and cheap as f2.8 versions, such as the M28/2.8. Vivitar made some f2.0 versions that are still affordable. These should be cheaper than 24mm or 35mm lenses simply because of supply.

The Pentax-M 40mm f2.8 is extremely compact on your camera but not too wide-angle. Unless the size is important to you, I'd look for other options first.
08-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #11

I used to have a Pentax MEF, basically a ME Super with a focusing aid. The only lenses I had were a M50mm f1.7, Takumar 28mm f2.8 and a Tamron AD2 80-210 (103). Thats all I used for about ten years. I think the Tak was a version of the M28mm f2.8. I would recomend getting a 28mm for the wide angle and the Tamron which can be picked up cheaply on ebay.

Jeff