Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Just to clear something up that has nothing to do with OP's question -- the normal (original) cap does not go INSIDE the hood, but on the hood reversed. In other words, you unscrew the hood, place it on the lens reversed (it will fit perfectly) and then you put the cap on THAT (the upturned screw threads of the hood). This way it will fit perfectly in the original Takumar case (focus lens on infinity to shorten it). All of the Takumars with screw-on metal hoods that I've had are are designed this way. And the same cap can also be used on the lens itself, sans hood. But it never goes inside the hood...

09-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have generic pinch caps that go on top of the lens hood. The correct diameter is 72mm for this one. I also don't have a leather case for my 200/4, so I keep it in a thick sock. It looks hilarious, but it works pretty well.
09-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #18
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Here is the storage condition of the hood as well as a 58mm factor cap on the base. The actual diameter of the factory cap is 60mm

My dial caliper tool gives a 73mm diameter for the outside front of the hood and 70mm for the inside front. Most "push-on" caps at 72mm with a velvet liner are made to 73 to 75 millimeters to allow for the thickness of the velvet and the outside to gripping on to.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 09-06-2012 at 03:07 AM.
09-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
he Takumar 1:2.5 135mm 1:4 200mm Hood here measures 70.2 mm inside.
The ridges inside the large end of the hood are not filter threads so a 72mm filter will not screw on.
A 72mm filter here has thread inside diameter of 71.1 mm.

The standard old type generic pinch on 72mm lens cap here has a mating outside diameter of 70.3 mm and fits OK on the hood.
So it only "just" fits and maybe some will not, if the hood is not perfectly round.