Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

lens cap' size for Takumar metal hood (135/2.5, 200/4) ?

Hi,

what is the size (mm) of a lens cap that can be used directly on a Takumar metal hood for Takumar 135/2.5, 200/4... like the one shown below :

it looks like 62mm will be too small... 67mm ?

08-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you've got a ruler too? just measure it.

sorry if that seems a little blunt, but this is just a little too simple a question
08-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The hoods were designed to be unscrewed and push fitted backwards witht he lens lens cap pushed onto the back end for transit.

They were not supplied with, or intended to be used with a lens cap when the hood was in the deployed position. I think you will be lucky to find any push on lens cap which fits securely.
08-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For the Takumar 135mm F/3.5, I use a 49mm lens cap with center pinch (don't have a photo here). The cap goes INSIDE the hood. For better handling of the cap, I attached two small strips of sandpaper to the center pinch, something like this:

You may want to try a 58mm cap like this one:

08-28-2012, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

What I've done is grab almost every push-on lens cap I can find at garage sales, flea markets, thrift shops, etc... Then, when I get a new lens and hood, I've usually got something that'll fit. However, I had one hood that I simply couldn't find a cap for, so I bought a neoprene hood like this: Op/Tech Hood Hat Small (3.5in Dia +/- .25in) Black 8001112

But to answer your original question, I don't think there is any set size for caps for lens hoods. They all seem to be different.
08-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I assume you've got a ruler too? just measure it.

sorry if that seems a little blunt, but this is just a little too simple a question
I will as soon as the hood arrives (it is en route), as for measurements off the picture I'd rather ask here, to be on the safe side and hear from the actual owners.
08-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The hoods were designed to be unscrewed and push fitted backwards witht he lens lens cap pushed onto the back end for transit.

They were not supplied with, or intended to be used with a lens cap when the hood was in the deployed position. I think you will be lucky to find any push on lens cap which fits securely.
I am not asking for a "push on" lens cap here, sorry if that was not clear ... I am talking about regular caps that can fit this hood... I have many metal screw on (in) hoods on my lenses all with regular caps... I have one cheap 58mm hood that is closed good w/ 62mm regular cap - but the Takumar hood seems to be wider than 62mm can do.

08-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
For the Takumar 135mm F/3.5, I use a 49mm lens cap with center pinch (don't have a photo here). The cap goes INSIDE the hood. For better handling of the cap, I attached two small strips of sandpaper to the center pinch, something like this:

You may want to try a 58mm cap like this one:
I do not want to put a cap inside the hood in such manner, it is very easy to tilt it there and touch the front glass element... m43 Olympus 75/1.8 is way too good and not that cheap to risk that.
08-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
But to answer your original question, I don't think there is any set size for caps for lens hoods. They all seem to be different.
and that was exactly the question - I hope that actual owner will see the question... of course I can wait for the hood to arrive and buy the cap then, probably I just have to buy 67mm cap, as I have 62mm anyways and 72mm seems to be bigger than image shows, plus I have one already... 67mm then is the only alternative, if it will not fit then loss is $1-2 ... the bigger problem then is what to do, if neither 62, nor 67, nor 72 will work - probably hit some stores and really try to find a push on cap or DIY
08-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
so I bought a neoprene hood like this: Op/Tech Hood Hat Small (3.5in Dia +/- .25in) Black 8001112
thank you... 2.5" exists, so it will be one of possible backup solutions then.
08-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The hood seems to be 73mm outside diameter, less than 71mm inside. I can't find any of the 72mm caps I should have. 67mm doesn't fit (several versions).

A 58mm pinch cap exactly as pictured in SOldBear's post works as he described, inside the hood, pretty secure.
08-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The hood seems to be 73mm outside diameter, less than 71mm inside. I can't find any of the 72mm caps I should have. 67mm doesn't fit (several versions).

A 58mm pinch cap exactly as pictured in SOldBear's post works as he described, inside the hood, pretty secure.
Yes, a 72mm center pinch cap should fit but if there is no filter mount screw threads cut into the inside of the lens hood, the lens cap won't be staying on too long. Most aftermarket 72mm lens caps seem to have weak springs, side pinch caps usually have stiffer springs but an accidental bump of either release tabs can mean a lost lens cap.
09-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The hood seems to be 73mm outside diameter, less than 71mm inside.
I finally have the actual hood w/ me - outside it is really 73mm and inside it is a little less than 71mm... I wish to kill somebody in Asahi who did this ...

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 09-04-2012 at 05:40 PM.
09-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
I finally have the actual hood w/ me - outside it is really 73mm and inside it is a little less than 71mm... I wish to kill somebody in Asahi who did this ...
By the look of that hood it is an antique. The person responsible is probably long retired, and therefore no longer inside Asahi - is that the basis for a reprieve?
09-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
By the look of that hood it is an antique. The person responsible is probably long retired, and therefore no longer inside Asahi - is that the basis for a reprieve?
those Japanese people are known to live (or at least get paid by their Social Security) past 100 years ...