Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
cleaning cost

does it really cost 200 - 300 dollars plus shipping to get a camera cleaned?
I have specs on my sensor and in my view finder that I can't seem to clean myself. I called Pentax (canada) to see about shipping it to them for a cleaning that was the quote, and then she added 'maybe more' that seems bizarre to spend 50% of the cost of a camera cleaning it.

08-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tweet25 Quote
I have specs on my sensor and in my view finder that I can't seem to clean myself. I called Pentax (canada) to see about shipping it to them for a cleaning that was the quote, and then she added 'maybe more' that seems bizarre to spend 50% of the cost of a camera cleaning it.
Sensor cleaning runs $40-80 depending on who does it and whether its a FF or a cropped sensor on most sites I have visited.
08-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think the cost is a function of where dust is,

on the sensor only is minimal, but if you are talking about within the prism housing this may require substantial disassembly of the camera. Note, I had my K10D serviced in about 2008, where they replaced the shutter, lens mount and mirror assembly. total of all parts was about $80, labour was the remainder of the $325 bill. that cost included a complete cleaning of the camera internally.

yes it was clean, but would I spend that money if the repair was not required, NO.

dust in the viewfinder is not an image impacting issue. for me as long as the sensor is clean, and that is an operation that would only have minimal bench charge, I would not bother. viewfinders always get dusty, live with it
08-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

A "clean and check" job at C.R.I.S. for a K-7 (similar for other DSLRs) is US$ 65 + shipping:

Digital SLR Body

External Cleaning
Cleaning of the electronic media chamber area
Cleaning of viewfinder as best possible (no disassembly performed)
Electronic testing of the manual & automatic shutter speeds, light meter and focusing system (where applicable or possible) to ensure they are within factory specifications
Cleaning of the CCD or CMOS sensor
Updating firmware in some cases

08-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
A "clean and check" job at C.R.I.S. for a K-7 (similar for other DSLRs) is US$ 65 + shipping:

Digital SLR Body

External Cleaning
Cleaning of the electronic media chamber area
Cleaning of viewfinder as best possible (no disassembly performed)
Electronic testing of the manual & automatic shutter speeds, light meter and focusing system (where applicable or possible) to ensure they are within factory specifications
Cleaning of the CCD or CMOS sensor
Updating firmware in some cases
Thanks, good to know. One such is included in the 2-year extended warranty for "free".
08-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
thank you all - I will shop around the province and just try and find somewhere i can send it for a basic clean. It is not life or death to fix it, I can edit out the spots. I just wanted it cleaned up.
I thought that sounded a bit high for what I needed, but I guess they don't just do a clean and check. thanks again!
08-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks, good to know. One such is included in the 2-year extended warranty for "free".
really so it should only cost me freight? the camera almost 1 year old.
08-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, if you have Pentax extended warranty (additional 2 yrs + 1 time clean and check). The paperwork spells out pretty clear.

I'm not sure if the extended warranty is available outside US.

08-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Only if you bought the 2-year extended warranty on it. I do not believe that the CLA is included in the basic warranty.
08-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #10

Original Poster
aww I did not buy the extended warranty - I only have the basic. the camera is just short of 12 months old. darn darn! but thanks anyways.
08-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

aww I did not buy the extended warranty - I only have the basic. the camera is just short of 12 months old. darn darn! but thanks anyways.
Wait, you're in Canada. The warranty is completely different there than in the US. You need to check the warranty to see what you get - I believe that your warranty is 2 years for the basic one anyway. Perhaps a member here from Canada can give you better information?
08-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #12

Original Poster
found it!!! PENTAX Canada | Warranty Information doesn't look very special maybe they can look at why my screen looks like the photos are blown out when i first take them , but on th second look they are fine. seems wierd and it just started, but i think the cleaning will be on my dime.
08-31-2012, 04:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Wait, you're in Canada. The warranty is completely different there than in the US. You need to check the warranty to see what you get - I believe that your warranty is 2 years for the basic one anyway. Perhaps a member here from Canada can give you better information?
Canadian warranty is two years
08-31-2012, 04:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Canadian warranty is two years
Yes, but does it include a free tune-up/cleaning of the camera body during that period?
08-31-2012, 04:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I don't know about tune up. I always dealt with sensor dust myself, and never bother with viewfinder dust because it does not impact image