Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Tamron Lenses

i'm a biginner in photography. i own a Pentax K-m model and i'm interested in buying Tamron Lenses SP AF 17-55 f2.8 Di ll and AF 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 XR Di ll LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Lens. My problem is that i'm not sure if they fit with the Pentax Kaf mount. please can somebody help me with my problem thanks.

08-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tamron -18-200mm F/3.5-6.3(Model A14)
18-200 XR Di II:

Mounts Compatible: NIKON II, CANON, SONY, PENTAX

Tamron -17-50mm F/2.8(Model A16)
17-50 XR Di II

Mounts Compatible: NIKON II, CANON, SONY, PENTAX
08-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Each was made for the K mount and will work, if that model is purchased, with the K-m. Just be sure that its actually a Pentax mount lens.
08-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum Brian

the current crop of lenses from tamron and sigma for pentax are in the links below along with user reviews on them, the 17-50 2.8 from tamron is an excellent lens value and a great start for a system.
Tamron Lenses for Pentax: Current Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Current Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

and all pentax made lenses are in this category

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
the 18-200 is less so (all super zooms like that are generally pretty mediocre.) why not add a Pentax 55-300 which is an excellent lower price telephoto zoom that will also gve you the added range to 300mm.
SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

08-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brian Tamron is what is called a third party lens manufacturer. They make lenses that are then offered in various mounts to fit many different brands of cameras. The lenses you are interested in are made in Pentax K-mount but are also made in many other mounts. You must make sure when purchasing that you get one that has the Pentax mount. The same lens with for example a Nikon mount would not work.

If you are buying new this will almost always not be a problem as the seller will know what you want. If buying used take extra care as the seller may not be familiar with camera equipment and may not fully understand what is compatible.
08-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brian, you might also consider the Pentax/Tamron (same lens, different logos) 18-250mm lens - each are highly rated and very good to excellent performers. Most likely you won't find one brand new, but you should be able to find an excellent condition used one.