Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcnugget Quote
Thanks for all the advice! I am going to be in costume, and I realized that I will probably only be taking photos outside. (I'm hoping others will be taking the photos of me inside the convention :P hehehehe) I am more apt to just bringing my 40 based on everyone's responses BUUUTTTT, I think I will just bring both. The 40 is smaller than a makeup palette I'm planning on bringing (total girl, I know) so I figure I can relieve any regrets by bringing both.

Another question- I can also borrow a Pentax 10-17 Fisheye from a friend who is not attending- would this be good to bring along/replace the 40?
Fisheyes can be tricky and, at least for me, take some practice to think about how they change depth in the image and other aspects of how things are seen. In tight spaces with lots to see it could be a very creative option for you.

08-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Zoomed to 17mm the Fisheye might be good indoors. I'd to a little testing before then, just in your home. Take a couple shots of your friend at different distances and see how much you like the images from the three lenses.

I like the Fisheye lens a lot, but it really depends on your goal at Dragoncon. Out in the vendor's area and such, that 17mm end might be what you're looking for.
08-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #18
Pentaxian

You should borrow the 10-17 Fisheye beforehand and practice with it first. Although there are times you may want a "Panorama" type of shot with it, in general you need to be able to get really close to your subject to make it interesting. So if the subject is a person they have to be comfortable with this. But you can also stealthily get someone off to the side in the frame and they'll probably have no idea.
09-06-2012, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Everyone

Hey Guys,

To close this thread up I wanted to say thanks so much for all of your advice! I realzed at the con that I spent much more time making new friends and having fun than I did behind the the camera. Albeit- I was mostly inhibited my my huge costume helmet head. Most of my shots were snapped super fast through live view but I'm really thankful for all your help! I am glad I ended up taking a backpack with everything!

the zoom was great for the parade!

and the 40 was on at some time

the fisheye was great for experimenting with fun characters

and overall, good times were had by all!

in case you couldn't tell- i'm the one in the cat helmet!

09-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Thanks for posting - I was wondering how that came out. It looks like you had a good time!
09-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
Emperor and Senpai

Nice Celty costume!
09-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Nice Celty costume!
Thanks! You know who I was!!!
09-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot of Harvey and Peanut!
The times I've brought my DSLR to these types of shows I took less pictures than I planned to...

09-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #24
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by mcnugget Quote
Thanks! You know who I was!!!
Of course! I've been doing 15-20 cons a year, and at alot of them selling in the dealer room. My next is AWA at the end of this month.