Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #1

Urgent!! Urgent!! Pentax es ii lens removal!

I just bought this pentax ES II camera with a lens attached. I don't really care for the camera, but I do care for the lens. I would like to be able to remove the lens in order to sell the camera body alone.

How do I do this? This is the first camera with interchangeable lenses that I have ever owned. I know how to do this on a digital camera, but on this, it seems like there's no button :/

IF YOU KNOW THE ANSWER, PLEASE REPLY ASAP! ALSO, IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD DO BEFORE TAKING THE LENS OFF?

Pictures are also very helpful! (Please tell me what I should do and include the picture of the button, I have no idea what everything is called.)

08-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know exactly, but that's a screw-mount camera. Unlike the K-mount, the M42 lenses will need to be unscrewed like a jar lid - many turns. I'm not certain whether there's a lock, but there may not be, it may just snug into place.
Pentax ES II - M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
08-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

With the front of the lens facing toward you, you'll see a button on the bottom left side of the camera's lens mount. Press it and then rotate the lens counterclockwise about 90 degrees, then it'll come off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With the front of the lens facing toward you, you'll see a button on the bottom left side of the camera's lens mount. Press it and then rotate the lens counterclockwise about 90 degrees, then it'll come off.
Umm, ES II (electro-Spotmatic). It's a screw mount camera Adam

08-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
PICTURES:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN SCREW MOUNT? SO I JUST TURN THE LENS OFF AND IT COMES OFF? BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO BE STUCK ON PRETTY SOLID AND I'M AFRAID TO BREAK THE MOUNT ON THE LENS......

Also, how much can I sell the body for? I'm not sure if it's functional but it looks like in good condition. Not really any major dents/scratches or mold. I heard its a rare model but do you think it's worth anything??
08-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iNicole Quote
PICTURES:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN SCREW MOUNT? SO I JUST TURN THE LENS OFF AND IT COMES OFF? BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO BE STUCK ON PRETTY SOLID AND I'M AFRAID TO BREAK THE MOUNT ON LENS
turn the lens counter-clockwise and it should come off. Unless it is cross-threaded, that would mean it would be stuck.

M42 lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
08-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
turn the lens counter-clockwise and it should come off. Unless it is cross-threaded, that would mean it would be stuck.
Are these lenses often cross-threaded?
How do I know if it is?

Thanks

08-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It would be extremely hard to cross thread it because of the way the threads are made, most likely it has just been on there for a couple decades and is a little stuck. If it was cross threaded it wouldn't sit flush against the mount, it looks fine from those pictures.

You also don't have to worry too much about breaking it, these things are really tough, not like the plastic stuff made today.
08-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

This problem is usually caused by a tiny pin called the stop-down pin getting stuck. Make sure that the sliding switch at the rear of the lens is set to manual, then try to pull the lens forward away from the camera body while you turn the lens to the left. It's okay to use a bit of effort - those old lenses don't break easily.
08-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ah, right- just turn the lens then. Was thinking of the K1000 for some reason.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
Giveaway winner!

I'm just curious...iNicole, did you get the lens off yet?

...PRETTY SOLID AND I'M AFRAID TO BREAK THE MOUNT ON THE LENS......
Screw mount frames are a little more beefed up to take the extra force of twisting.

To remove, hold camera lens up and twist counter-clockwise by gripping the base more than the front of the lens. If the aperture dial turns with you, let it to allow extra torque when it hit max. In some cases the lens has never been removed since purchased by owner and so it will be a tight fit.
09-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
I'm just curious...iNicole, did you get the lens off yet?

Hi, yes thanks. I got the lens off.
Now I'm just concerned about a bubble on the rear glass. :\
09-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera makers used to say that bubbles in the lenses were a sign of high-quality optical glass, and that they wouldn't affect the image. I have seen small bubbles in good German lenses from the 1930s-40s, but not in lenses from the 1970s and later. Even so, I wouldn't worry about it until you took photos that are unsatisfactory.
09-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Camera makers used to say that bubbles in the lenses were a sign of high-quality optical glass, and that they wouldn't affect the image. I have seen small bubbles in good German lenses from the 1930s-40s, but not in lenses from the 1970s and later. Even so, I wouldn't worry about it until you took photos that are unsatisfactory.
Thanks, I know this probably sounds really stupid, but I didn't even buy a dslr yet, so there's no way for me to test out the quality.
My original plan was to buy the "rare"/vintage lenses first before the prices went up.

I'm only planning to buy a dslr in about a year when I will be moving out and when I will actually be able to afford it. (Currently, selling stuff on ebay).
I'm only 14 and I know for sure that my parents will not even consider helping me purchase a dslr.
(I have a Pentax esii film camera with the lens, and using the viewfinder, it doesnt look like there's any problem, but then again the viewfinder is very dusty and small... :/

Also, I just noticed that there's an odd black thing inside the lens which LOOKS like it's floating!!! It almost looks like a smaller version of LEAD from a mechanical pencil! Very strange, I wonder if the original owner ever opened up the lens :/
09-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #15
Giveaway winner!

LOOKS like it's floating!!! It almost looks like a smaller version of LEAD from a mechanical pencil!
"Floating" you mean it move around, not liquid right? Some old lenses have bits of old paint that can chip, unfortunately some insides have corrosion that causes the paint to chip. Another source is the 'blackening' paint that could escape because of rough handling or loose elements inside. Depending on the lens, some has single element away other groups and are suspended with threaded retention rings. When they get loose enough, you can tilt the lens around and hear them move.