Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #16

SUCCESS

In answer to my own question posed above, logic dictates that if an electrical contact is not conducting it's because the circuit is broken. So, following another close inspection of this offending contact via a loupe (This is a home made loupe. My default eyesight is rancid these days and these damn contacts or so small and difficult to see.) I determined that whilst the contact looked perfectly ok, it was in fact sitting a bit low in the mount in comparison to others and as a consequence it proved not to be closing the circuit. We're probably talking less than a thousand of an inch here but clearly it's important. So, desperate situations require desperate measures and apart from taking my angle grinder to it, which was sorely tempting, it was off with the mount again. What I wasn't aware of but I am now and so are you now for that matter, is that these conducting contacts in lens mounts are removable. With the assistance of a tiny jewellers screwdiriver and working from the back of the mount, I was able to push the contact out of it's recess. It would appear the contacts are bonded in. I carefully cleaned the recess of the old glue, re-seated the contact ensuring it was sitting ever so slightly proud of the mounting ring surface, applied a tiny drip of super glue to the recess at the rear, allowed it to dry, refixed the mount to the lens, mounted lens on camera and tested. And Hey-Presto the ....kin thing works once more as the widest aperture of f2.4 is displayed again.

A very, very grateful thanks to all who took time to read this request for help but in particular to those who posted as your thoughts proved ultimately invaluable in narrowing down and eventually identifying the problem.

Pedro... no longer vexed...

Last edited by Pedrodelta; 09-02-2012 at 07:07 AM.
09-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Congrats
09-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Congrats
Thank you ducdao.