Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 35mm f2.4 as well as the 40mm XS. The 40mm XS is probably more practical for carrying around. I mean, if you go for a walk and you have a zoom lens on there, but want to have a high quality prime with you as well - the 40 XS is a good idea, just put it in your pocket.
The 40 is probably slightly sharper, but the 35mm is wider and faster. Both of these lenses in my experience are not quite great when wide open - they are perfectly sharp, but they have some fringing or chromatic aberration, when wide open in high contrast light, so that isn't a very common scenario anyway.
Oh, and the 35mm you can maybe find in white to fit your camera's color (from Japan, or online).
Regarding the filters for the 40mm XS.. yes, they need to be 27mm, which can be hard to find in a store, but there is quite a selection online (for camcorders, but it should work on DSLR's just as well). Mostly from the following brands: Massa, Hoya, Hama, B+W. They have UV, polarizers, even some color filters. I am currently waiting for a filter to arrive from Hong Kong, so I can't talk about the actual quality yet. Hoods might be harder to find for that size, since the hood tends to be bigger than the actual lens lol

09-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Also note there are two new superzooms coming according to the roadmap. No one knows the spec, but many people expect a DA 18-200 and DA*16-85. The DA* will be weatherproof and somehow better than the DA 118-135 (faster aperture? better IQ?). The DA 18-200 may or may not be WR.
You would think with all of the promotion of rugged cameras, every new lens would be WR. But with the new 50/1.8 just coming out, I guess not. I can't imagine that superzoom would be either, that would be very difficult to engineer.
09-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I have the 35mm f2.4 as well as the 40mm XS. The 40mm XS is probably more practical for carrying around. I mean, if you go for a walk and you have a zoom lens on there, but want to have a high quality prime with you as well - the 40 XS is a good idea, just put it in your pocket.
The 40 is probably slightly sharper, but the 35mm is wider and faster. Both of these lenses in my experience are not quite great when wide open - they are perfectly sharp, but they have some fringing or chromatic aberration, when wide open in high contrast light, so that isn't a very common scenario anyway.
Oh, and the 35mm you can maybe find in white to fit your camera's color (from Japan, or online).
Regarding the filters for the 40mm XS.. yes, they need to be 27mm, which can be hard to find in a store, but there is quite a selection online (for camcorders, but it should work on DSLR's just as well). Mostly from the following brands: Massa, Hoya, Hama, B+W. They have UV, polarizers, even some color filters. I am currently waiting for a filter to arrive from Hong Kong, so I can't talk about the actual quality yet. Hoods might be harder to find for that size, since the hood tends to be bigger than the actual lens lol
I've thought about the 40XS and its size is fascinating (and potentially a plus) but your points about filters and hood are ones that have kept me from buying a 40XS. When I do a search on Amazon for 27mm filters there are a lot that are NOT 27mm that show up too. When all sorted out the ones that are left are Zeikos, Opteka, No-Name brand, Platinum Plus, Sunpak, Digital Concepts, Bower, Canon, Kenko (1 CPL), Hoya (1 UV), and Pentax (1 set for the K-01). I don't see any of the high end makers and Kenko and Hoya models offered are not their better quality filters. So, for the 40XS you are stuck with inferior filters if you want to use filters with the lens.

EDIT: I found some B&W filters in 27mm at Adorama (CPL, ND, 1A) but again these are not their highest quality - although they are better than anything else offered in 27mm that I can find.
09-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Try looking for the 27mm filters on ebay, a lot of stores that sell brand new items are on there now. But you are right, when a brand offers different quality grades of the same filter type, you will probably not get the highest quality at 27mm size. I mostly want to use it as a replacement lens cap, though, and I don't think it would degrade the quality too much for casual use.

09-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #20

Original Poster
I might just be going for the DA35 coz I wanna try a fast normal setup. It's fast and cheap too! Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm actually really interested in the 40XS because of the size but I think the hood size might give me a problem because it's hard to find accessories here in the Philippines.
09-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #21

Original Poster
As the date of my Singapore trip comes nearer I'm more confused whether to go for the 40XS, 40 Limited or the 35, I'm thinking 35 for the faster normal setup, 40XS for the creamer round bokehs 40 Limited for the lots of features such as depth of field indicator, aperture ring(so I can use with the K1000), at a higher price(gonna have to borrow money from my dad),. IMO, I have a M 50 1.4 but I only use it when I have full control of the shoot. A friend of mine tells me that the 40XS does a good job with flares and doesn't need hoods because it's mostly for portraits. Decisions decisions..
09-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #22

If you don't want to borrow money from your dad, then go with the 35mm 2.4. This was my first prime lens and it really does a very good job. The feel of it isn't as nice as that of other, higher priced primes. But the picture quality you get really is pleasing, and the focusing is quite fast as well. As you might be able to guess now, I can really recommend this lens to you.

cheers, crubb

09-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Markooo Quote
A friend of mine tells me that the 40XS does a good job with flares and doesn't need hoods because it's mostly for portraits.
Flare is caused by strong light striking the front element, it is not related to the subject matter. Any ambient light that reaches the front element will reduce contrast, even when it is not nearly severe enough to cause flare. I use a hood virtually all the time, as do a lot of people here from previous discussions we've had on the topic.

Any lens can be used for portraits, but classic portrait length is usually considered to be at least 70mm equivalent, so 40mm (60mm equivalent) is still a bit short.