Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Give that a try and let me know what happens. If it is on the inside, I would return it and start over. I do not think it would be worth the effort, the hard part is getting past the aperture and then getting it back together correctly. Much too easy to have nothing but pieces.
I used a cleaning cloth and it's not coming off. I think it's on the inside.
Is it 100% sure fungus, or could it be something else?
It looks like a circle with a dot in it, I thought fungus looked like hair

09-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just give it a good wipe around with sensative baby wipes
09-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It could be oil that has managed to make its way onto the element. It is really hard to tell without better pictures.
09-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The last thing we need is more random clueless people taking apart lenses, I've already had to correct enough stupid things done by previous owners. Any idea the mess that is caused when someone tries to "lubricate" a focus helicoid with WD40?
Besides that, the video wouldn't be entertaining without axes and chainsaws.

DIY videos are great - for people with common sense and the proper tools. For all others, things tend to go south very quickly, especially when they try something like needle nose pliers for a spanner.

09-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Nicole, if it is on the inside of the back element, I seriously recommend sending it back. You paid good money for a lens that they said was in good condition, and if it has fungus it is not in good condition. Send it back, pay the $12 or whatever shipping, take the loss and find another one.

You have tried cleaning, and it did not work so you have done your best. If it is on the inside of the back element it is not an amateur job, you do not have the proper tools and to acquire the correct lens ring remover and spanner would cost as much as sending the lens back, with NO guarantee of success. There is a person on the forum, Eric, that can do the job if you are determined but the cost of repair might be as much as the lens cost you. If that were my lens I would send it back and I've opened and repaired 5 or 6 Takumars over the years. I have the tools and the experience, and in this situation I would still send it back.
09-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
especially when they try something like needle nose pliers for a spanner.
Needle nose pliers are for amateurs, scissors work much better (Joking, really, really Joking)
09-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Another vote for sending it back, I've repaired a few lenses, but those were all thrift store and flea market finds, not lenses I paid full price for. You paid full price, so you should expect to get a lens without serious problems, something wrong with the rear element is far more likely to cause image quality problems than something on the front element.

In the case of my Super Takumar, I had no problems removing the smashed filter, carefully cleaning the shards of glass from the front element, tightening the notoriously loose screws under the name ring or removing the yellowing from the Thorium glass with UV light. That was a flea market find, if it turned out to be a lost cause I was only out $5 and it came with a partially working Spotmatic body that would be useful as parts for another one.

If you send it back, you are out the cost of shipping, if you attempt to repair it and fail, you are out a lot more.
09-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #23

Original Poster
It could be oil that has managed to make its way onto the element. It is really hard to tell without better pictures.
Here's more detailed pictures:
Photo Album - Imgur
LENS FUNGUS? - Imgur

09-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Almost certain that is oil.
09-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #25

Original Poster
Look at this video:

The guy shows his lens with fungus, do you think it looks similar to the dot on my lens?
Also, do takumar 50 1.4 lenses often drop oil? I've never seen one with oil on the blades!
09-01-2012, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #26
Inactive Account

His lens shows normal fungus, notice the fine threads visible, I don't see any of that on your lens.

I don't think oil is a common problem with Takumars, but it can happen with just about any lens. It usually happens when lenses are stored in a very warm place.
09-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #27

Original Poster
I don't think oil is a common problem with Takumars, but it can happen with just about any lens. It usually happens when lenses are stored in a very warm place.
Thank you soooo much! This lens came from Georgia, apparently it's very hot and HUMID there.. Well that solves the problem of the mysterious white dot.
Thanks I would donate to you if I didn't spend my money on this damn lens!
09-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #28

Original Poster
I think I have discovered what this is. Thought I'd let you know in case anyone else was wondering!
I think that the white spot is a BUBBLE or an element separation, something of the sort!!

Found out here: Bubbles in lens, what causes this phenomenon? - Photo.net Canon FD Forum
The bubble on my lens is pretty huge, maybe like 2mm, so hopefully it won't affect image quality... :/
09-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #29
Site Supporter

It is good that you tried wiping it with a lens cloth, but I would still try wiping it again using a dab of alcohol. If that fails, then you either have something outside the lens that can't be removed through normal means, or something (anything!) inside your lens which just isn't worth fixing. Might as well try with a little damp alcohol. Maybe I misunderstood your response and you already tried this.

I kinda doubt it is lens separation just because that usually starts around the edges and you have a lot of spots randomly scattered about. Either way, lens separation or fungus, the end result is that the lens is a goner.