Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #1

use Sharpie to fix scratched lenses!?

come across a link about fixing scratched lenses:
How to Fix a Scratch on a Camera Lens | eHow.com

where it says using "Take a thin permanent marker and carefully fill in the scratch with ink."
then "Immediately wipe off any excess ink with a lens cloth."
really!?

Could anyone share your experiences on fixing scratched lenses?

thanks

09-01-2012, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've heard of this, but have never tried it... and I probably never will because knowing me and my clumsiness, I'll probably damage the lens even more.

I think the purpose of filling in the scratches is to reduce the flare that the scratched glass may produce.
09-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Best method is to ignore it, the front damage never shows.
Just be very careful with the back one.
And never try to " Polish " out the marks with toothpaste as they say on the same site you will ruin the coatings !
The best rendering portrait lens I have is a Revuenon 55 1.4 with a BIG scratch right across the middle.
09-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
The concept is that the darkened line is less likely to defract light and cause lower contract. In theory this should work, but fine scratches are not going to contribute much in lessening of contract. It is more likely the lack of a lens hood will light up the glass and cause issues. If you have a deep furrow running throught the lens that is as deep as if a diamond was drapped across the surface, I suppose the need of a dark dress-up in in order?

My Jupiter-3 russian lens has quite a few fine scratch and it shoots just fine and even better in very sunny conditions with a hood.

09-01-2012, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Hi Chalupa,

This is a modern take on an old photographers' trick. By blackening out the scratch, you can pretty much eliminate the main photographic effect of the scratch -- adding flare that would not be produced if the scratch weren't present.

My dad had some pro photographer friends way back in the '50s. One day I noticed that one of their lenses had a number of black marks on it and asked about this. His reply was that the lens had gotten scratched, and he had painted over the scratches to keep them from showing up on his pictures. I told him that didn't make any sense, that by making them black, it would seem that they would be more obvious since they blocked light. He explained how the flare that could be caused could effect the image more than the insignificant blockage of light. He told me that he could actually take a 1/4" square of tape and put it on his lens and it really wouldn't show up on a photograph. I didn't really understand at the time, but I my dad always raved about how good a photographer he was, and I took his word for it. . . and remembered this conversation for some strange reason.

After getting into photography myself in the late '60s, I did my own experiment and put a 1/4" piece of tape, stuck it on a lens and took some pictures, changing the position of the tape a few times.When I developed the film, I was shocked to see that there weren't any black blotches on the images. This test is a lot easier with digital since you can see the results instantly, and with Post-It notes, there's less reason for angst about trying it. I've seen some outrageous examples of severely scratched lenses, with photographs taken with them, and it's shocking how much damage a front lens element can sustain, and still be able to capture great images.

Dirty lens article

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/40521-dead-lens-club.html

SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Scott
09-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #6

Interesting. I have a canon g10 point and shoot. I can't use it toward any light source because of scratches and spots I can't clean off. They show right up...
09-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If I can find a link to report on damaged lenses I will post it . The report showed several photo's suh as the ones in snostorm's post. At the end of the article they showed the lens that all the photo;s had been taken with. the front element looked as if someone had hit it with a hammer . it was seriously spider webbed with cracks. I have one lens I got very cheap because it has a scratch that runs from the edge to almost the center. It does not show up in my photo's taken with it.
09-01-2012, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
If I can find a link to report on damaged lenses I will post it . The report showed several photo's suh as the ones in snostorm's post. At the end of the article they showed the lens that all the photo;s had been taken with. the front element looked as if someone had hit it with a hammer . it was seriously spider webbed with cracks. I have one lens I got very cheap because it has a scratch that runs from the edge to almost the center. It does not show up in my photo's taken with it.
This may be the one you're looking for:

LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches

Regards

09-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter

yeah thanks That is it.
09-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluenose Quote
This may be the one you're looking for:

LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches

Regards
That lens in the article is amazing. Roger Cicala, who wrote that article definitely knows his stuff.
09-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
That lens in the article is amazing. Roger Cicala, who wrote that article definitely knows his stuff.
After seeing that lens a bit of dust seem insignificant.

Regards
06-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #12

scratched camera lens 98% fixed

i 've used the black thin sharpie marker and fill in the scratched, after that i wiped it off with a qtips (dipped in a little,very little water) to decrease the black levels on the lens 4 to five times, before this i could not record videos with my digital cameras now it's possible, although when focused on white areas for digital stills picts it shows up a faint or very light shadow in the marked area, for other conditions it seems fine. i guess i should have not pres too hard when i marked it with the sharpie. so it mostly works for me

thanks for this advice in the forum
06-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Filling in scratches or other imperfections with black laquer or a marker pen, is old wisdom. You will find recommandations to do that in any old optical textbook. And if you think about it for a moment, you will immediately recognize, that the odd black spot won't influence the optical performance of a lens in any noticeable way. Just think about catadioptric or mirror lenses, where the secondary mirror sits right in the center of the front lens and easily occupies a large part of the whole lens diameter. Tests with photographic telescopes revealed, that this central obstruction leads to a loss of image quality (mainly loss of contrast) when it covers more than 30% of the diameter.

A blackend scratch is preferrable to a untreated scratch, if the scratch is deep. Because than the "canyon" flanks and the sharp edges will introduce flareing. The added loss of contrast through an increase in diffraction is basically the same, whether it be introiduced by the edge of the blackened spot or the edge of the untreated scratch.

I would not blacken shallow scratches, unless they cover a very large surface area, because you will hardly just fill in the scratch and the solvent of the colour may damage the coating unneccessarily.

I also have scratched lens, a Tamron 60B, but I cannot compülain about any lack of contrast or sharpness...

Ben
06-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Pentaxian

It is amazing what doesn't seem to have an effect when intuition tells you "stuff on lens will block picture". With "big-glass" lenses like my Tamron Adaptall 400/4, I can grab the front of the hood with my palm almost completely blocking the lens and if it is focused on a far subject it does nothing more than lower the contrast some...
06-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Great thread ... thanks all ... J