Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #1

What kind of mount is this?

Hi,

I'm just wondering what kind of lens mount is this:

Also, if it was a canon FD mount, could I use it with a Nikon or Pentax camera with an adapter without any problems? I heard that canon dslrs don't work very well with fd mounts..

Thanks!

09-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like Canon FD. This was the old manual focus Canon mount. They changed it to a new mount when they moved to auto focus. It will fit most manual focus Canons but not modern ones without an adapter.

Canon lenses will not work on Pentax or Nikon without an optical adapter which degrades the image quality. The registration distance is shorter than either Pentax or Nikon. Canon can use just about anything but not the reverse because of the registration distance.

Lots of FD mount lenses available but unfortunately they are not easily adapted to other cameras.
09-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yep, that's a Canon.
09-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yup, FD mount.
There is an adapter for Pentax but it has an optical correction glass in it that might degrade the IQ.
I haven't really searched for an adapter for Nikon but since the registry distance of Pentax & Nikon are almost the same, I would bet that the adapter for Nikon would have an optical glass too.
These adapters are sold on eBay

09-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Canon FD lenses can only be used on M4/3, NEX, or NX mirrorless cameras without an optical adapter. Optical adapters act like a short teleconverter and degrade the picture quality.
09-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There is an FD to PK adaptor with optical elements in it, to correct for the difference in registry distance. Works like a 1.4 x TC but not as high quality (only $30)

There is also a similar nikons to PK adaptor like a 1.25x TC
09-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
There is an FD to PK adaptor with optical elements in it, to correct for the difference in registry distance. Works like a 1.4 x TC but not as high quality (only $30)

There is also a similar nikons to PK adaptor like a 1.25x TC
I was told that I shouldnt buy lenses with FD mounts, does anyone know why??
09-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
They aren't properly adaptable to any DSLR, they do quite well on some mirrorless cameras though.

09-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iNicole Quote
I was told that I shouldnt buy lenses with FD mounts, does anyone know why??
They are difficult to adapt to a DSLR because the regestry distance is shorter than any other camera, therefore difficult to adapt. But the adaptor does work. It is soft with some color bleed wide open but ok stopped down. It would be an eugenics use not a main use