Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Katzeye on K20D

I saw what appears to be a good deal on a used Katzeye screen for a K20D. I have heard that sometimes they cause problems that require shims (seen a bit of that on the message boards), but I am wondering how common a problem that is. How would you know what size shim is necessary? Also, are these shims even available anymore?

I guess I am a little concerned about obtaining a used one that claims to be in excellent condition on the possibility it won't seat just right and cause focusing issues.

(I currently have one of the cheap ones from China that works pretty well, but, it starts to black out at f4...that is the reason I am thinking of changing.)

Thanks

Last edited by Spodeworld; 09-03-2012 at 09:12 AM.
09-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I bought a Katzeye for my K20D and I needed to replace the shim with a thinner one. YMMV. It's worth the hassle though.
09-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@johnyates how were you able to determine you needed a shim, let alone a thinner one? Where do you get shim from?

Thanks
09-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
@johnyates how were you able to determine you needed a shim, let alone a thinner one? Where do you get shim from?

Thanks
You need to setup a focus test chart, it is the same as testing auto focus, the camera needs to be at a specific angle and distance from the chart to get a proper result. Then you focus on the center of the chart and take a shot, if it appears to be focused further than the center mark, you need a thicker shim, if it appears to be focused closer than the center mark, you need a thinner shim.

I've heard some people have bought the shims from Pentax, you might also try contacting Katzeye or focusingscreen.com. I made my own using the original as a template when I put a screen in my K100D.

09-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can anyone tell me, if shims are required, just where do they get installed? I can't find any images of just where it is put in. I assume you just pop it in wherever the focusing screen goes, but beyond that....
09-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #6

The shims go between the focusing screen and the penta-prism. Remove the focusing screen and add the new shim or replace the old one, depending on how much adjustment is needed.

I think someone said the shims are $0.75 each from Pentax. Some one posted part numbers as I recall, but maybe on a different message board or forum.

Some of the front/back focus can be adjusted in either the debug menu or other menus depending on the camera model.
09-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, on the K20D, there is a frame that holds the focusing screen. On the frame is a latch that when opened allows one part of the frame that holds the focusing screen in place to drop down. Do you put the shim on that part of the frame that drops down and then the focusing screen on top of that...then close the frame?

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The shims go between the focusing screen and the penta-prism. Remove the focusing screen and add the new shim or replace the old one, depending on how much adjustment is needed.

I think someone said the shims are $0.75 each from Pentax. Some one posted part numbers as I recall, but maybe on a different message board or forum.

Some of the front/back focus can be adjusted in either the debug menu or other menus depending on the camera model.

09-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
So, on the K20D, there is a frame that holds the focusing screen. On the frame is a latch that when opened allows one part of the frame that holds the focusing screen in place to drop down. Do you put the shim on that part of the frame that drops down and then the focusing screen on top of that...then close the frame?
Other way around, holding the camera right side up, the shim goes on top of the screen.