Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 double trouble, plus a few more things.

I wonder if this is the right place for reporting some trouble with my K5, but I had to find a spot where it said "trouble" and I found "troubleshooting".
So here it goes:

1. "Battery depleted" problem, making the K5 totally unusable; camera sent to Pentax Canada June 22 2012 and received back here July 15 2012. So far, no trouble with the repair ... kept my fingers crossed until ...

2. "mirror flop", just a few weeks after the "battery depleted" problem was "solved". The camera is going to Pentax for yet another repair tomorrow.

3. Sticky - hard to move ON/OFF button; this is also part of the current issues along with the mirror flop.

4. Rear monitor protector screen coming off ... also part of the "work order" along with the "flop".

What really gets to me is the fact that this camera was absolutely fine for a full 18 months ... roughly 35,000 clicks. Now everything is happening at once and I am becoming seriously annoyed.

As if this wasn't enough, my DA*16-50 will have to go to Pentax as well (out of warranty,of course) because the lens will now NOT AF at infinity UNLESS I move the focus ring a bit OR the zoom ring. Bugger!
this lens had previously been "serviced" for a faulty SDM ...

End of report/rant.

JP

09-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry about your troubles.
09-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sticky on off button usually is just sticky stuff in there. Can fix that by using alcohol wipes generously in that area.

Rest - good luck.
09-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry about your troubles.
Thanks.
Those faults make me seriously wonder what the heck is happening with the QC of the K5.
While most people will not report any problems, those who do will usually report them in "batches", like I do now.
I had the K10D .. perfect. The K20D ... perfect. The K7 ... perfect.
Pentax had better learned how to deal with the QC issues before releasing ANY other camera out there.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Sticky on off button usually is just sticky stuff in there. Can fix that by using alcohol wipes generously in that area.

Rest - good luck.
Thanks ... the sticky button/lever is just an aggravating factor to the two major problems.
I hope they will be able to fix them FOR GOOD.
Wishful thinking?

JP

09-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I feel for you, can't imagine being without mine for weeks on end.

This might be a minor quibble but I don't think this is a QC issue. If it worked for 18 months then I would say the Quality Control out the door was fine. The problem has been and still is with design flaws. SDM issues, lens release button, mirror flop, battery issues, those are issues that the engineers are responsible for not the QC inspector on the line. All QC can do is verify that it was within the specs (that the engineers approved) when it went out the door.

When you open the box and parts are missing or it does not work that is poor QC. When it works for 18 months and then fails that is the engineer not specifying parts that are robust enough to survive a normal lifetime in the wild.

Not arguing with you, I just think the blame should go to those responsible.
09-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter

That sucks.
Was going to comment on couple things but not willing to jinx the gear.
Hope it gets back in time and in good shape.
09-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I feel for you, can't imagine being without mine for weeks on end.

This might be a minor quibble but I don't think this is a QC issue. If it worked for 18 months then I would say the Quality Control out the door was fine. The problem has been and still is with design flaws. SDM issues, lens release button, mirror flop, battery issues, those are issues that the engineers are responsible for not the QC inspector on the line. All QC can do is verify that it was within the specs (that the engineers approved) when it went out the door.

When you open the box and parts are missing or it does not work that is poor QC. When it works for 18 months and then fails that is the engineer not specifying parts that are robust enough to survive a normal lifetime in the wild.

Not arguing with you, I just think the blame should go to those responsible.
Well, I wasn't seeing it that way but you do have a point.
I suppose I am expecting this camera to be faultless for at least two plus years before any sign of "wear" sets in.

On the other hand, I do expect some "normal life expectancy" out of a camera that had cost near $1500 back then.

I wasn't aware of the flow of QC later on during the inspections of various parts which, as you mention, would maybe cause a problem down the road.

Amazing how many "little things" came up with this camera from various users over the last few months only.

Thanks for posting.

JP
09-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
That sucks.
Was going to comment on couple things but not willing to jinx the gear.
Hope it gets back in time and in good shape.
The camera is the best I have used this far .... I have been a Pentax user since 1974 !!! but this latest bout of annoyances sure hit me good.

I am hoping it will be here before I set out for the annual bird-of-prey migration during mid September .... that'll be close though.

Cheers!

JP

09-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I suppose I am expecting this camera to be faultless for at least two plus years before any sign of "wear" sets in.
Agree 100% especially with your shutter count you should not be seeing those kinds of issues. Nor should we be seeing things like lens release buttons fall off. That is poor design. A lot of these little things are especially annoying because the k-5 is not a completely new body, they had experience with the k-7 which should have ironed out some or all of those things. Pentax can do better, they HAVE done better. I am hoping we can attribute this to Hoya cost cutting and look forward to a more robust camera from Ricoh.

I bought the extended US warranty which gives me three years and I hope I never use it. Like you I do not think it too much to ask for 2 or 3 years of solid performance from something that costs that much, if they rate the shutter for 100,000 actuations I should think the rest should last that long as well.

PS: All of these complaints are because the camera is so good in so many ways. If it was a piece of junk we would all have trashed it and bought something else!
09-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The irony of technology, is that it moves so fast that there is little time to refine, and it's rather pointless to make it last. I remember buying the very first Sony CD player and worrying about getting a replacement laser when it wore out. A year later they had a whole new system. By the time the unit failed, one could buy a complete new player for a lot less money than could have been imagined back then.
With cameras as well, it is not profitable for a company to charge for a robust camera construction, when the money could be put into R&D to bring the cost of future replacements down. That was and is the beauty of the old manual cameras. They were built to last, and with a bit of servicing, they perform as they did when new.

I do find the need for ever increasing automation, such as a fraction faster auto focus, or more in camera processing, rather bewildering. Over century ago, someone managed this portrait without the assistance of what is available today. The photographer has earned his credit. Stunning portrait over a century ago....IMGP0112crop2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
09-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #11

If your K5 is out of warranty it could still be covered under repair warranty from when Pentax fixed your "battery depleted" problem. If Pentax did replace the main ckt bd for that problem and then replaces it again to repair your new mirror flop problem then no charge to you as the replaced part/repair has a warranty also. The other repair for mirror flop is the "mirror overrun repair" which has nothing to do with the battery depleted problem.

Anyways keep alert to make sure you don't get charged for the repair if any of the above applies. Make note on your the "repair input form" that you just had a repair and the date to give them a heads up. Ask them to clean your on/off switch while they have your camera open. I doubt they are going to charge you for spraying it from both sides with some contact cleaner and making sure it's right.

Last edited by jcp5; 09-04-2012 at 10:31 AM.
09-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Agree 100% especially with your shutter count you should not be seeing those kinds of issues. Nor should we be seeing things like lens release buttons fall off. That is poor design. A lot of these little things are especially annoying because the k-5 is not a completely new body, they had experience with the k-7 which should have ironed out some or all of those things. Pentax can do better, they HAVE done better. I am hoping we can attribute this to Hoya cost cutting and look forward to a more robust camera from Ricoh.
You would think that because it is the same body that it wouldn't come out with "glitches" but it did.
I am just hoping for a good repair job so that I won't have to send it away again soon.

I bought the extended US warranty which gives me three years and I hope I never use it. Like you I do not think it too much to ask for 2 or 3 years of solid performance from something that costs that much, if they rate the shutter for 100,000 actuations I should think the rest should last that long as well.
I do have the "Canadian" warranty which is two years but will expire at the end of December 2012 ... little time if anything else should happen. Cross my fingers it won't.
PS: All of these complaints are because the camera is so good in so many ways. If it was a piece of junk we would all have trashed it and bought something else!
My "complaint" is rather a sense of disappointment for such a wonderful camera.

JP
09-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
If your K5 is out of warranty it could still be covered under repair warranty from when Pentax fixed your "battery depleted" problem. If Pentax did replace the main ckt bd for that problem and then replaces it again to repair your new mirror flop problem then no charge to you as the replaced part/repair has a warranty also. The other repair for mirror flop is the "mirror overrun repair" which has nothing to do with the battery depleted problem.

Anyways keep alert to make sure you don't get charged for the repair if any of the above applies. Make note on your the "repair input form" that you just had a repair and the date to give them a heads up. Ask them to clean your on/off switch while they have your camera open. I doubt they are going to charge you for spraying it from both sides with some contact cleaner and making sure it's right.
Luckily, I am still within the warranty period, until the end of December 2012.

Actually, I have sent a note along with the camera regarding the previous repair involving the "battery depleted" issue. I do have the work sheet that they provided when the camera was returned to me, and it is stored away in a safe place ... just in case.
I specifically asked whether this repair had anything to do with this instance ... of course they'll likely say "not".

I will keep all of the documentation they will/have provide(d) so that if anything else happens later, at least I will have a track record.

Thanks for the post.

JP
09-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The irony of technology, is that it moves so fast that there is little time to refine, and it's rather pointless to make it last. I remember buying the very first Sony CD player and worrying about getting a replacement laser when it wore out. A year later they had a whole new system. By the time the unit failed, one could buy a complete new player for a lot less money than could have been imagined back then.
With cameras as well, it is not profitable for a company to charge for a robust camera construction, when the money could be put into R&D to bring the cost of future replacements down. That was and is the beauty of the old manual cameras. They were built to last, and with a bit of servicing, they perform as they did when new.

We at least expect a reasonable life cycle for something we pay, in my case, for the full initial price. This is my fourth Pentax DSLR and the first to give me trouble. A "tad" annoying, no matter how they now build tech equipment so that the consumer end up having to buy more ... the name of the game these days.
Strangely, I too have an old Sony CD player .... built 1984 !! Still going !!

I do find the need for ever increasing automation, such as a fraction faster auto focus, or more in camera processing, rather bewildering. Over century ago, someone managed this portrait without the assistance of what is available today. The photographer has earned his credit. Stunning portrait over a century ago....IMGP0112crop2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Great photo too !
I wish for a "punchier" AF though !

JP
09-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
My "complaint" is rather a sense of disappointment for such a wonderful camera.
Agree 100% that is what I was trying to say though maybe it did not come out that way.