Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

Green laser

Hello Folks,

I've noticed that my K-5 has what appears to be a visible-light green laser range finder. When I'm using the 50-200 WR lens it only comes on when the lens is set long, at or about 200 mm. Why?

Thanks, Tom

09-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its a focus light to aid the autofocus.
09-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is the AF Assist Light. In AF.S mode it will come on when the camera determines it is needed.
09-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Tom,
I assume you're talking about the small green light in the upper right part of the camera. This is an AF assist lamp. AFAIK it is not a laser device bt just a simple green LED. It is deisgned to help the camera autoocusing in dark conditions. Obviously it is only efficient at close range.
I'm guessing in your case it only turned itself on at longer focal length, because that is the most demanding situation:
- because of camera shake if you're shooting handheld;
- because on that lens the max aperture is limited to 5.6 instead of 4 at shorter lengths.
You can also choose to deliberately turn the green light off somewhere in the "C" menus. Look for "AF assist".

EDIT oops, I was too slow!