Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

So the Exposure Compensation you guys are talking about is in green button, not M mode per say...

09-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

On the models where EV works in M mode, if you are using an 'A' lens where it knows the aperture, the meter readout gives you constant feedback as to where it thinks the correct exposure should be -- it will say +1.0 or whatever. So in that case, the EV setting will affect that readout accordingly. And If you are using a M-type lens (no contacts, wide-open aperture until firing) and green-button metering, it will actually apply your chosen EV as it sets the shutter speed when you hit the green button. So EV operation in M mode *is* useful, and very nice feature to have...
09-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have always felt that the exposure meter in both my K10 and K5 would tend to have me overexposing in manual mode (at least to my taste} and I realize that Pentax cameras record a lot of information on the bright side but you still don't want blown highlights. I use the shutter or f/stop to click to the left 1 or 2 times. Have never used the green button much in manual, I always thought it gave you a good exposure to start out with and that it was based on how you set the "program line" I will experiment with it some I guess. I have my camera set for "center" metering, how everyone sets theirs will make a huge difference in this regard!

Last edited by jaytee; 09-06-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo
09-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
I have always felt that the exposure meter in both my K10 and K5 would tend to have me overexposing in manual mode (at least to my taste} and I realize that Pentax cameras record a lot of information on the bright side but you still don't want blown highlights. I use the shutter or f/stop to click to the left 1 or 2 times. Have never used the green button much in manual, I always thought it gave you a good exposure to start out with and that it was based on how you set the "program line" I will experiment with it some I guess. I have my camera set for "center" metering, how everyone sets theirs will make a huge difference in this regard!
Green-button metering is used for older M-type lenses -- it stops down the lens to the selected aperture, takes a meter reading, and sets the shutter speed based on that reading (you have to set it up this way in the menus, but it is the most sensible). It is essential for using those old lenses. On newer lenses, it can quickly get you back to a sensible baseline exposure setting if you've been twirling the dials, but isn't needed so much...

09-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #20

For myself and would think that most others wouldn't want or use Ev comp in manual.I use manual quite a bit because I want to be in control of the settings
09-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Actually DOF & blurring background are 2 different things. You get some surprising results. With same framing of a subject (same size of subject in frame) shorter focal lengths actually gives less DOF but less blurring of background compared to longer lengths at same aperture. Look at this http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...cal/bokeh.html and skip down to the "Blur Quantity" section
Nice! This was a good read.
09-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Boker Quote
For myself and would think that most others wouldn't want or use Ev comp in manual.I use manual quite a bit because I want to be in control of the settings
It doesn't take away any control -- it gives you more. On modern A and AF lenses it doesn't DO anything -- just changes the meter display which would be helpful if you wanted to expose to the left or the right consistently and would prefer for the meter center point to be adjusted in that direction. On older M lenses, it is incredibly useful for those lenses that tend to consistently need adjustment.
09-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #23
Site Supporter

So, now I am getting confused on how my K20D behaves.

If I dial in EV of +1 in M and use the green button will it overexpose by +1 for a fully manual lens....K-mount or M42?

What if I have an A lens on there where it does know my aperture?

09-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
So, now I am getting confused on how my K20D behaves.

If I dial in EV of +1 in M and use the green button will it overexpose by +1 for a fully manual lens....K-mount or M42?
I'm not sure EV works in M on the K20D, but assuming it does, then yes, which is nice on lenses that tend to underexpose.

QuoteQuote:
What if I have an A lens on there where it does know my aperture?
Then you probably wouldn't use the green button at all, but if you did, it just sets the EV back to zero (there may be other options there, but that's what my K-5 does on my settings). But if you do have EV dialed in to other than zero and don't hit the green button, then the meter display is just shifted to the right or left (as you've shifted the EV). So you use the meter just like the old style needle meters on the K1000, etc and the EV is just a way of shifting the center point as desired. (Let's say you were shooting where snow covers everything and there is white everywhere -- might make sense to dial in some EV so it isn't trying to make everything middle gray.) But EV in M is mainly of use with old non-A lenses...
09-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Come to think of it, for M42s, Aperture Priority is available, so EV would work in that case....but I digress, as we were talking about M mode.

Not sure what would when you use K-mount full manuals along with M, the green button and EC. Not sure if it exposure compensation has any impact. (My camera is nowhere near me at the moment.)

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'm not sure EV works in M on the K20D, but assuming it does, then yes, which is nice on lenses that tend to underexpose.

Then you probably wouldn't use the green button at all, but if you did, it just sets the EV back to zero (there may be other options there, but that's what my K-5 does on my settings). But if you do have EV dialed in to other than zero and don't hit the green button, then the meter display is just shifted to the right or left (as you've shifted the EV). So you use the meter just like the old style needle meters on the K1000, etc and the EV is just a way of shifting it as desired. But EV in M is mainly of use with old non-A lenses...
09-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Well, but Green button can't be considered M mode!
What i said was valid for M mode, but using the green button is like using Aperture priority!
09-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
So the Exposure Compensation you guys are talking about is in green button, not M mode per say...
correct.

we want to be able to dial in specific EV comp to the green button.

clearly, the meter is the meter, and when using stop down (DOF preview) metering, you don't need it, but with the green button you do

the reason for this is that most people don't use the DOF preview to activate the metering, and it is otherwise with manual aperture lenses disabled. It is not the same when you have an autoaperture lens in manual (on the body ) mode, where the body controls the aperture. In that case the light meter is always on and you can see the exposure (compensated for your settings in +/-
09-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
I don't agree with this statement. Source?
Try with ur cam so u will see...at least with K5 exposure compensation do affect flash power.