Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5 flash shoe just came out!!! HELP!!!!!!!

I was using a Pentax AF-540FGZ on my K5, the shoe was loose a little bit, but now it just pop out, when I was removing the flash the metal thing came out attached to it.

My english it's not so good, so, look at the pictures

09-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry you are having this problem with your K-5. Looking at my K-5 and comparing it to your picture it looks like the screws have backed out into the camera body. Who do you send your camera to for repair in Chile? It also looks like a piece that is silver and U shaped is missing.

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-06-2012 at 03:56 PM.
09-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
ehhh, your spanish it's not so good either , so I dont understand what you said. Please try in english

I can see that the tiny screws loose the metal thing, but I don't know why, and don't know how to screw it back to the camera body again

Thanx
09-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Loose screws due to poor threadlocking, a typical Pentax issue. Just send it in for warranty repair. Even out of warranty, they should fix it for free.

09-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
that's kind of impossible to me, I'm in Chile, and the camera was bought in BHphotovideo.

Does anybody knows how to screw bak the metal thing?
09-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kokezuniga Quote
that's kind of impossible to me, I'm in Chile, and the camera was bought in BHphotovideo.
Doesn't it come with an international warranty? In any case, there ought to be a repair center somewhere you can send it to.
09-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you know how to remove the top w/o killing the camera, it will be a piece of cake. I won't walk you through though cos I don't want to take the blame. Good luck.

09-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My K5 had the same problem and I was not able to find a way to fix it since it appears that the screws are on the inside of the case. I sent it in to C.R.I.S under warranty and they repaired it fairly quickly.
09-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The picture shows that a piece is missing, the spring plate the tensions the flash against the rails.
You will want to find that part first before attempting the fix, I would guess.
It may be stuck on your flash maybe?
09-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #10

Pentax Japan lists repair/service centers including those with International Warranty service (IWS). It looks like Costa Rica (it's at the very bottom of the list) is the closest location to Chile.

International Service Network (America) : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Regards
09-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #11

Original Poster
I removed the spring plate only to take the picture, it's not missing. I was thinking in how could turn the screw from the top, maybe if I glue a screwdriver and turn it very very carefully, and repeat it for the other 3 screws. Tomorrow I will contact BH photovideo and ask what can I do, if I send it back to NYC or maybe they know someone here in Chile who could fix it.

Thanx to all you guys
09-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #12

Original Poster
Bad news, I've tried everything, and nothing works, finelly I glue the metal thing with an epoxy, but the camera doesn't recognize the flash and does not fire. I move the flash to see what was happening and the petal thing came out again.

So I'm buying a flash support an fireit through wirless mode

I'm very dissapointed with this, it such a minor thing, why don't they put the screwdrives from top of the camera, so it make it so easy to fix? why? WHYYYYYYY?????????

Last edited by kokezuniga; 09-12-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: miss spelling
09-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK since you are not afraid to try do it yourself fixes, how about taking a thin Dremel cutting disk and making a slice across the middle top of each protruding screw so you can insert a small screwdriver in them.
See if it is possible to turn the screws in and out. If yes, then back them down flat, position the plate and screw them back into it.
No guarantees but it is something you could try if you are desperate.
It looks like a very precise touch is needed, so perhaps ask for assistance from a jeweler?

Or the other option is take the top of the camera off.
09-13-2012, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

This is not the same model as yours, but it shows where you need to get to tighten the screws.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/16209-gp1806/albums/3032-k200d-re...ture23532.html
09-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #15

Original Poster
Mmmmm, very tempting, but, if I remove the top of the camera, do I lose the weather sealing?