Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 86
k30 with older 170-500

I tried out a k30 and one of the lenses that would not work on it was a sigma 170-500mm. They told me I had to send the lens back to sigma to get upgraded. Is this true and if so how much would this cost?

09-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ames, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 173
Recent service at Sigma New York

I just sent a sigma 100-300 f4 together with my k-5 to Sigma New York, to fix its front-focus problem. Before sending it out, I did contact their technician for a quote, and Marc at Sigma service department, NY, told me if the lens is a DG version, and its serial # is higher than 5010001, then they can carry out a AF Data Adjustment for it. The actual cost was $120+shipping. They received the lens on Sep 3rd, and today it is already on the way back on a Fedex Truck. I will let you know once receiving the lens next week.

Hope this can help a little bit.
09-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 86
Original Poster
Thanks.
09-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 347
QuoteOriginally posted by kesong Quote
I just sent a sigma 100-300 f4 together with my k-5 to Sigma New York, to fix its front-focus problem. Before sending it out, I did contact their technician for a quote, and Marc at Sigma service department, NY, told me if the lens is a DG version, and its serial # is higher than 5010001, then they can carry out a AF Data Adjustment for it. The actual cost was $120+shipping. They received the lens on Sep 3rd, and today it is already on the way back on a Fedex Truck. I will let you know once receiving the lens next week.

Hope this can help a little bit.
Could it not be brought into adjustment on the body? I have a FF/BF (can't remember which) problem with my 100-300 as well, but I was able to calibrate it in the K20d. I'm going to be upgrading bodies soon.

09-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ames, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
Could it not be brought into adjustment on the body? I have a FF/BF (can't remember which) problem with my 100-300 as well, but I was able to calibrate it in the K20d. I'm going to be upgrading bodies soon.
Thanks for the tip!
I did try to use AF adjustment on my K-5.
However, the lens still FF even when I dialed in -10.
Also, I found the 100-300 has different levels of ff issue throughout the entire zoom range. For example, at 100mm, the focus is ok, while at 300mm, the ff problem is more severe. The in-camera af adjustment can only fix the focus performance at certain focal length, but not the entire focal range.

I'll let you guys know once I get the lens back from sigma.
09-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 86
Original Poster
going to sell it

Back from holidays. I sent Sigma an email, no word back after a week. I figure the best thing to do is just sell it.
09-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member
GabrielFFontes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 647
QuoteOriginally posted by kesong Quote
I just sent a sigma 100-300 f4 together with my k-5 to Sigma New York, to fix its front-focus problem. Before sending it out, I did contact their technician for a quote, and Marc at Sigma service department, NY, told me if the lens is a DG version, and its serial # is higher than 5010001, then they can carry out a AF Data Adjustment for it. The actual cost was $120+shipping. They received the lens on Sep 3rd, and today it is already on the way back on a Fedex Truck. I will let you know once receiving the lens next week.

Hope this can help a little bit.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you have any idea if this is camera related too?
I mean, i have a APO EX 70-200 2.8 [first af version] that frontfocuses at any FL longer than 70mm. At 200mm the frontfocus is REALLY bizarre
I sold my K-r and i bought a K-30 (but it's only going to arrive next month, so )...do you think that there is any possibility that this problem might be solved with the new camera?
09-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ames, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you have any idea if this is camera related too?
I mean, i have a APO EX 70-200 2.8 [first af version] that frontfocuses at any FL longer than 70mm. At 200mm the frontfocus is REALLY bizarre
I sold my K-r and i bought a K-30 (but it's only going to arrive next month, so )...do you think that there is any possibility that this problem might be solved with the new camera?
Sorry to hear your problem with your sigma 70-200, my friend.
Honestly, I don't have a definite answer to your question.
It could be, since K-30 has a upgraded focus system.
I think only sigma knows what is the real deal.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k30, pentax help, sigma
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 170-500 f5-6.3 apo af firstshot Sold Items 6 12-16-2011 01:26 PM
K-5 and Sigma 170-500 apac Pentax K-5 7 08-31-2011 05:01 PM
Sigma 170-500+1.4X Tamron TC john1938 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 05-18-2011 10:22 AM
k5 and older sigma 170-500mm djayvo Pentax K-5 10 04-05-2011 11:29 AM
Sigma 50-500 vs 150-500 vs 170-500 juanraortiz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 10-30-2009 03:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top