Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-R IR Function Check

Hello,

How do I know if my camera's IR function is working? I purchase a cheap IR remote off ebay for Pentax (ML-P), but I can't seem to trigger to shutter no matter how I position the remote close/far/angled from the receiver at the front of the camera. The camera shows that the IR function is switched on with the blinking of the red light.

I thought my remote was spoilt, and asked the seller for a replacement, but both were not able to trigger it. The seller said that he had tested the remote before sending to me.

Please advise ):

09-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Do you have a cheap webcam or cell phone with a camera? Point the remote at the camera and press the button, you should be able to see the LED light up through the camera.
09-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sure you have done this, but it will only work if you set the camera up to accept the remote. It fooled me the first time I went to use my fleabag remote. My K-r is in for repair (it's been a week and I miss it terribly) otherwise I check which of the four buttons on the back it is to be sure, but I believe it's top one of the four that allows you to change the settings to use the remote to activate the shutter. My apologies if you have already done this. I haven't had any issues with my fleabay remote except when I forgot to tell it I'm using the remote.
09-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I tried using it on my iphone, but I can't see any red light from the remotes. So I got faulty ones? And its not the camera's problem?

09-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for your reply. But I already did the change in settings, tried to instant and 2 seconds delay too ):
09-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by songwenn Quote
thanks for your reply. But I already did the change in settings, tried to instant and 2 seconds delay too ):
Darn, suspected you had, but I thought best say something in case not. If it isn't solved by the time mine comes back I'll have a look at and see if there is something else causing it not to work. It took me almost a year to realise my flash didn't work as it should.
09-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Called Emjay and they suggested that I bring my camera down for a check. But they only operate during office hours, when I'm working as well. ):
09-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by songwenn Quote
I tried using it on my iphone, but I can't see any red light from the remotes. So I got faulty ones? And its not the camera's problem?
There is no visible beam AFAIK.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is no visible beam AFAIK.
It isn't visible to the human eye, but cheap cameras with poor IR filters will see it as a greyish blue. A quick search shows that an iPhone 4s has a decent IR filter, but the iPhone 4 doesn't.