Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #1

Question about K-30 flash

I live in the South, and it's always hot and humid here. People are sweaty most of the time. When I use the K-30's built in flash for back-lit portraits, the flash creates unattractive highlights on people's faces due to the moisture. Is there a way to mitigate this problem? Would buying an external flash help?

PS: When you see movies about the South, everyone is always glistening with sweat, even indoors. That is total BS because we have AC indoors.

09-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eachaglimpse Quote
I live in the South, and it's always hot and humid here. People are sweaty most of the time. When I use the K-30's built in flash for back-lit portraits, the flash creates unattractive highlights on people's faces due to the moisture. Is there a way to mitigate this problem? Would buying an external flash help?
Direct flash is never flattering, even without the sweat. An external flash with bounce and swivel capabilities is a huge help and getting the flash off the camera entirely will give the best results. If you must use it on camera and can't bounce it off the ceiling or a wall, get a diffuser. There are some little diffuers that can be bought or made for the pop-up flash, which can be useful in a pinch.
09-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip. I also read that using tissue paper works also for the built-in flash.
09-10-2012, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I've seen some very creative diffusers used on built-in flashes, even a cigarette pack can do a decent job. You have a lot more creative freedom with off camera flash though and people don't look think you're weird for having a cigarette pack on top of your camera. Though, my off camera flash diffusers are homemade too, so I don't exactly look professional with my wax paper and poster board creations, they get the job done though. One thing to keep in mind with diffusers on bigger flashes is heat, my Vivitar 285hv and Yongnuo YN-560 can melt some things on full power.

09-10-2012, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eachaglimpse Quote
Thanks for the tip. I also read that using tissue paper works also for the built-in flash.
Probably won't help much for this issue. The problem is direct reflection off the shiny skin. With flat reflective surfaces you can deal with this simply by moving the light source, but with curved shapes such as faces you are still likely to get direct reflection back at the camera. So the solution is to use a much larger effective light source. You're working outdoors so that makes it less likely you'll have a nearby white wall or ceiling to bounce the flash. Simplest solution would be to get a large reflector with a white covering (or side) or a large bounce card to get some diffuse reflected sunlight back to the subject's face. An assistant to hold the reflector helps. For a close-up you can even get the subject to hold the reflector.
09-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
Very helpful replies. Thank you both. Your posts just got some likes .
09-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Here's my diffuser for the built-in flash, made in Japan by Fujiflim . It helps somewhat, but don't expect miracle. The size of the light source does increase, but not by much.