Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-R Locks up in bulb mode on longer shots

Hey everyone, wondering if anyone else has come across this issue; when using the K-R on bulb mode and doing a longer exposure (say 60sec +) the camera will lock up and be completely unresponsive. No display, no reaction to buttons or shutter, even flicking the power switch off and back on does not bring it back. I have to pull the battery to get it going again. I first discovered the issue when firing the shutter with the IR remote but just tested by holding the shutter and replicated the problem. I'm on FW ver. 1.12 so the camera is up to date. Thoughts?

09-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thats most likely the dark frame substraction, its a form of noise reduction. It works by taking exact same photo again so with the same exposure time. I believe you can turn it off with the Kr
09-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, slow shutter noise reduction. The bottom of camera settings tab 2. I left mine on auto, but was quite concerned when I experienced the same as the OP - after learning about DFS its not a concern, I let the camera finish its processing.
09-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Oh hahah, intentional feature! Just did an experiment by doing a 60sec exposure and letting it sit for another 60sec, sure enough it was ready to work again after that.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!