Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help to solve fungus in lens | disassembled

Hi guys ,
Fungus found in my DAL 18-55. Here is the well seal front element , and I can't open this part , maybe it shouldn't be take to pieces ?

Here is the front element:

Front optic:

Snap shot from inner optic:

How should I clean it up , as I'm not sure is it inside those optic group , or should I use any alcohol ?

Thanks

09-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
For the cost of another 18-55mm kit lens, I wouldn't even bother trying to go further. Since those elements are likely glued in, disassembling them would upset the alignment, which could lead to far worse image quality than the fungus caused. If you were closer to me you could have my non-L kit lens for $40, I never use it, but shipping would probably be too high to make it worth it.
09-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #3

The front element is embedded deep. You can do it with a bit of confidence with a hot knife to wedge the elements apart.

Do you think you're comfortable doing it, if not, then it is best to assemble it back together for I guess it is still in usable condition. :P
09-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Agreed, there are so much of these lenses around for real cheap that it not worth the trouble.

09-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You may succeed in cleaning the elements if you manage to get it apart, but it may never go back together the same and maybe worse off than you started.
As others say, they are not that expensive chuck it and get a new one.

In any case get a new one and then have a go, then that way it won't matter if you do stuff it up.

Those last two photos look like the glue has deteriorated between the sandwich elements, in which case it is not repairable at all.

Last edited by bdparker; 09-09-2012 at 04:06 AM.
09-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Just a quick observation... the way the shell is molded together, did you check for a seam somewhere in the middle rather than the ends. The three prongs... are they only guide or do they also serve as retention clips?
09-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Firstly. Apart from looking awesome under those lighting conditions... Have you noticed it in any of the shots you have taken??

if not, put the dam thing back together

As for cleaning it, lighter fluid.

From my experience, even visible marks make bugger all difference by the time your camera mashes it into a jpg

09-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
TZH

Original Poster
I try to ignore this but I can't , please take a look to my attachment , both image are same setting (auto WB) but very different contrast. I assume this fungus cause my image in low contrast ?
Attached Images

09-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hmmm...AWB can be different in the same scene. You really have to check if colorwarmth and tint have the same numbers. You are also using 2 different lenses so this is not a foulproof comparison.
09-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
TZH

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Hmmm...AWB can be different in the same scene. You really have to check if colorwarmth and tint have the same numbers. You are also using 2 different lenses so this is not a foulproof comparison.
Agree with two different lenses and AWB . I'll try to find a replacement for my kit lens .