Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I owned a DA17-70/4. It was a nice lens. The constant f/4 aperture is a big advantage. I've owned a number of Pentax f/4 zooms, and they've all given high image quality. You can set the aperture at f/4.5 and shoot away. It's a big step up from the 18-55 kit lens. I only sold it because I eventually moved to an even higher IQ lens - actually a series of primes plus a DA*16-50.

You've already done research, and you've correctly arrived at the DA17-70. I've still got 2 SDM lenses - the two f/2.8 DA* zooms. All my SDM lenses have done great. One could fail tomorrow, and I wouldn't like it. But even if it did, the biggest tragedy would have been not getting to use these nice lenses.

Don't buy a lesser lens because some people raise the Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt flag. I'm sorry for those who've experienced the failure, and I hope I don't. But you didn't spend that much money on a K-5 just to avoid using Pentax' better glass. If the possibly of SDM failure still scares you, and you're buying it new, then go ahead and get the warranty. And keep the DA L 18-55 as a backup at first. But once you start using the DA17-70/4, it'll just sit on your shelf and you'll wonder why you even have it (the answer is you'll want it to take product shots of the other lenses you sell, because it's the only one that won't make their scratches and flaws look worse than they do in real life!).

Last edited by DSims; 09-09-2012 at 07:57 PM.
09-09-2012, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 17-70 produces very nice images. It's sharp, renders colors beautifully, somewhat compact and has one of the best ranges. It's IQ is far better than the 18-55. But...It has SDM.

If you buy it get the extended warranty as twitch mentioned earlier. If not the 16-45 is also an incredible lens and can be found for $225-250 used here in the Marketplace. After deciding it was time to sell my 18-55 for an upgrade I bought the 17-70 new. Three months later the SDM stopped working and the entire motor was replaced under warranty. I sold it locally to a forum member who was aware of the replacement. Later the replaced SDM went out again. In the meantime I had bought the DA* 16-50 and the 16-45 to see which was better. My favorite in IQ was the 17-70, my favorite in aperture speed was the 16-50, but it was also SDM. After having the 18-55, 17-70, 16-45 and 16-50 I kept only the 16-45 and haven't looked back.

You may have better luck than some, especially with an extended warranty. If you choose the 17-70 you'll love the range and the results but I thought I'd throw in my experience to help you make a decision.
09-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
The 17-70 produces very nice images. It's sharp, renders colors beautifully, somewhat compact and has one of the best ranges. It's IQ is far better than the 18-55. But...It has SDM.

If you buy it get the extended warranty as twitch mentioned earlier. If not the 16-45 is also an incredible lens and can be found for $225-250 used here in the Marketplace. After deciding it was time to sell my 18-55 for an upgrade I bought the 17-70 new. Three months later the SDM stopped working and the entire motor was replaced under warranty. I sold it locally to a forum member who was aware of the replacement. Later the replaced SDM went out again. In the meantime I had bought the DA* 16-50 and the 16-45 to see which was better. My favorite in IQ was the 17-70, my favorite in aperture speed was the 16-50, but it was also SDM. After having the 18-55, 17-70, 16-45 and 16-50 I kept only the 16-45 and haven't looked back.

You may have better luck than some, especially with an extended warranty. If you choose the 17-70 you'll love the range and the results but I thought I'd throw in my experience to help you make a decision.
I'm glad to see you shared your personal experience. I bought mine used and never had a problem.

Others in this thread have simply said SDM is bad, but with no indication of whether they've experienced this themselves.
09-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello Folks,

Can anybody please tell me if Samyang 100-500 mm Auto Zoom 1:5.6-7.1 is a high quality lens? If it is, then perhaps I will keep it to use for planetary astrophotography.

Thanks Tom

09-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatume Quote
Hello Folks,

Can anybody please tell me if Samyang 100-500 mm Auto Zoom 1:5.6-7.1 is a high quality lens? If it is, then perhaps I will keep it to use for planetary astrophotography.

Thanks Tom
You might ask blackcloudbrew, I think he had one at some point.
09-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #21
Pentaxian

To answer the original question, you'd get $40-60 for the DAL, and little to nothing for the Sigma I'm guessing. The Vivitar -- is that the plastic one with the 1:1 "matched macro" adapter (and with A setting)? If so, you should get $100-$140 for that (including the adapter), although that lens is a somewhat of a hidden gem -- I'd keep it. Does the Samyang have an "A" setting? If so, you could probably get anywhere from $100-$200 out of it -- but could be some work finding a buyer. If no A setting, then more like $80 I think...