Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x stuck in Manual Focus mode...

During a shoot, my K-x suddenly got stuck in MF mode even as I switched it to AF. Now, it's stuck there - regardless whether the switch is in AF or MF. On the LCD and VF, it also says MF. I tried all lenses I have, and still won't. I cleaned all contacts and still nothing, reset to default, changed to a fresh charge of batteries, nothing. The switch still works - I can still move it up and down, but the indicator and function remains in MF.

I'm sure the motor is not broken because there was one occasion where the AF suddenly worked, but when I turned it off and on- it got stuck on MF again. Any idea what happened? I'm thinking the screw or the switch got decentered or something so that the camera thinks I never moved the switch. Any idea for a DIY fix for this? Or any recommendations? Thanks!

09-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have any solutions but I will add that the opposite problem happened to me a couple of months ago. My K200D got stuck in AF, even when I was trying to MF with an FA lens. This was unfortunate as I had been wanting to start practicing manually. The problem mysteriously solved itself a few weeks ago, somehow.

With no lens on the body, do you see any difference in the screw drive screw when you flip the AF/MF selector?
09-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I don't have any solutions but I will add that the opposite problem happened to me a couple of months ago. My K200D got stuck in AF, even when I was trying to MF with an FA lens. This was unfortunate as I had been wanting to start practicing manually. The problem mysteriously solved itself a few weeks ago, somehow. With no lens on the body, do you see any difference in the screw drive screw when you flip the AF/MF selector?
Yes the AF screw sinks into the body when switch is in MF, and up when it's in AF (manual lenses just press it back down anyways, so the camera detects it's a manual lens and doesn't spin the motor).

I've tried fiddling with the screw a bit with the switch in AF - it now works well with the kit lens. Seems the screw got "decentered" or something in the hole when I switch it to MF. I'll be testing it on other lenses to see if the problem has been solved..
08-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Forum Member

I've had mine do that too occasionally. Turning the camera off & back on and/or flicking the switch back & forth a few times seems to un-stick it. I figure it's just an old switch with dirty contacts.

08-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
My K-x did that with a Promaster 28-210. Turned out that the lens was the problem. No matter what I did, the lens would never register as an AF lens. If you have another AF lens available, try it.

Edited - Sorry, I just re-read your post and saw that you tried all of your lenses, Well, there goes my theory!
08-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Assuming the screwdrive extends and retracts properly, this often works for a decentered screwdrive-

Press in the the lens release button. This both retracts the locking pin and the AF driver. Turn the lens all the way to its stop in the mount, but don't force it. Release the lens release button and gently turn the lens back in its mount just until the locking pin snaps into the hole in the lens.
11-30-2013, 01:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Same problem here...tried everything already...anybody has a solution?

11-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Lubricating switch cleaner. Spray very small burst beneath the AF/MF switch, and if the lens is removed, on the drive pin, be careful not to spray on the sensor. Use thin plastic tube supplied and hold against place where you are applying it...

Last edited by altopiet; 11-30-2013 at 02:26 AM.
11-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I found that it is SOMEHOW related to the batteries. Rechargeable batteries, even fully charged good ones, often cause problems. Alkaline batteries also cause problems, but slightly less often. I understand that power is important for AF, but I am not sure that not being able to use rechargeable batteries at all and being able to use alkaline ones ONLY if they are absolutely new, bought from reliable retailer and only then they last for a bout 100 shots...

Forgot to mention: I stopped using rechargeable batteries ( I use them for flash only now), I tried THREE different NEW alkaline batteries until I found these that did not cause AF problems...
12-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by moshepupkin Quote
I found that it is SOMEHOW related to the batteries. Rechargeable batteries, even fully charged good ones, often cause problems. Alkaline batteries also cause problems, but slightly less often. I understand that power is important for AF, but I am not sure that not being able to use rechargeable batteries at all and being able to use alkaline ones ONLY if they are absolutely new, bought from reliable retailer and only then they last for a bout 100 shots...

Forgot to mention: I stopped using rechargeable batteries ( I use them for flash only now), I tried THREE different NEW alkaline batteries until I found these that did not cause AF problems...
There is a lot of variability between rechargeable battery brands. Also, like any other battery, the more often a rechargeable battery is recharged, the less capacity it has. So age has a lot to do with it.

If you look at the many threads in this Forum about AA batteries, you will see one trend over and over - use Sanyo eneloop batteries if you wish to use rechargable batteries, or use non-rechargeable lithium batteries. As also explained in other threads, the issue isn't just total capacity but also how much peak energy a battery can provide. Digital SLR cameras need a lot of energy at the moment of exposure. Many alkaline batteries cannot provide this level of discharge for more than a few shots.
12-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I am actually using Sanyo...
12-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by moshepupkin Quote
I am actually using Sanyo...
Off the top of my head, I think the Sanyo eneloop batteries are good for approximately 500 charge cycles before needing replacement.
12-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Try leaving the batteries out for a few days with the camera switched on. The idea is to "reset" the camera.
12-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #14

This is an old thread but in case you haven't found a solution I believe your problem is the same as mine. Adam had the correct suggestion for me.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/229...t-working.html