Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #1

Problem w/SuperMEF SLR

I have an old Pentax Super MEF. It hasn't been used in over 20 years but has been properly stored in a study box with the batteries and film removed. I also stored 'silica do not eat' packets inside the box. My 20 yr old son found it and researched the batteries and put in new button cell Energizer 357/303 1.55V cc batteries. I double checked and he oriented the 4 batteries correctly, 2 + alternating with 2 -. The first roll of 24 exposure film loaded properly and from what he told me would have been great if he didn't open it to see what to do at the end (before calling me and rewinding the film). The 2nd roll of film was loaded and immediately started 'firing off a shot' as soon as the manual wind lever is activated and of course since no shot was even looked at stays open. Once it 'automatically' finally closes the shutter. Then the camera again, without touching any buttons or timers, opens the shutter again as soon as a manual wind lever is touched. Any ideas? We tried unloading the batteries and reloading to no avail. We rewound the film, thinking that maybe he jammed something when he loaded the film, but we can't seem to get the camera out of the immediate shutter opening once the manual wind is activated?

09-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sounds like it needs a cla (clean lubed and adjusted). Eric Hendrickson can work on the MEF. It isn't the run of the mill body though.

Eric knows Pentax and is highly regarded in the community and is affordable.

Click> Home

Last edited by Blue; 09-10-2012 at 08:51 PM.
09-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Eric Hendrickson

Film, Super MEF needing work. Could you please let me know how to contact Eric? I'm in CT.
09-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NancyOldSuperMEF Quote
Film, Super MEF needing work. Could you please let me know how to contact Eric? I'm in CT.
Click the blue line above, it says Home.

09-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #5

The MEF is very similar to the ME Super, difference being it's got a focusing aid plus contacts for an auto focus lens. If it is firng as soon as as you wind on the next frame then possibly the shutter release button is stuck in.

Jeff