Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Split screen types - diagonal vs. horizontal

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with both horizontal vs. diagonal split focus screens and if they found an advantage of one over the other.

Thanks

09-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I prefer diagonal because it works well with vertical and horizontal lines, a horizontal split doesn't work well if you're trying to use a horizontal line to focus. Of course, you can just tilt the camera for focusing.
09-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I prefer diagonal because it works well with vertical and horizontal lines,
Ditto on this one. Although you can tilt the camera to focus as elliot stated, one way or another, you are off 90 degrees. I have worked with both and found the diagonal split screen SO much nicer to use. You can focus and compose all at the same time w/o looking for an object that is 90 degrees different for the split. Now I need to get one for my K7!

Regards,
09-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am getting a second K20D and was wondering whether to go with diagonal or horizontal....I have a diagonal on the one I have now...unless I hear something completely compelling to the contrary, it looks like I'll get one for this camera too.

Thanks for the feedback.

09-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Having used both. I can say they both have the moments.

Though what I found most helpful with enhanced focusing type screens is that they had good prism collars and that the camera AF lock was well calibrated since there's no way to have it all(as elliott mentioned). ie. a diagonal split screen is very helpful with horizontal and vertical lines, whereas a standard split screen works well on vertical and diagonal type contrast edges.

That being, I've found that the combination of AF lock indicator with a split prism is usually enough to nail most shots. - but all that pales in comparison to focus peaking though

Last edited by JohnBee; 09-11-2012 at 06:55 PM.
09-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Focus peaking sounds awesome....I was holding out for the K5 II in case it had focus peaking...now that it seems like it doesn't, I opted for another K20D to mess with for a while which I plan on primarily using with manual focus lenses. But I digress.
09-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I am getting a second K20D and was wondering whether to go with diagonal or horizontal....I have a diagonal on the one I have now...unless I hear something completely compelling to the contrary, it looks like I'll get one for this camera too.

Thanks for the feedback.
PS. I don't mean to impose but I have a K20D focusingscreen.com screen left over from my K20 days if you're interested in trying one out. It is the K3 variant with prism collar and standard split. You're welcome to PM me for details if your interested.

09-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #8

I guess I'm in the minority. I prefer a horizontal split. It's easier for me to line up something at 90 degrees to the horizon than it is at 45 degrees. It's much faster for me to align up and down or side to side than it is at an angle. I have a diagonal split screen on my K10D and I find I have to rely on the focus indicator more than the screen especially when focusing on eyes.
09-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
gtl
Veteran Member

Why not the canon ee-s screen? Many have raved about it.
09-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had this discussion with Rachel Katz of katzeye. She claimed that a 90degree intersection was more accurate and I agree, however I have found a dual split that I have in my *istD is easier to focus than the single split in my K10D. Both are diagonal
09-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I had this discussion with Rachel Katz of katzeye. She claimed that a 90degree intersection was more accurate and I agree, however I have found a dual split that I have in my *istD is easier to focus than the single split in my K10D. Both are diagonal
The screen in my K100D is a dual split diagonal, I've never used a single split diagonal though to compare, mine isn't an expensive one, just a cheap one from jinfinance on eBay.

09-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's the one I have in my *istD
09-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@elliot - I suppose it starts to black out at around f4. Is that you're experience?
09-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
@elliot - I suppose it starts to black out at around f4. Is that you're experience?
Depends on the light and the angle of my eye, in good light I hardly ever get black out. In poor light I might have to move my eye around a little to deal with the black out at smaller apertures. I shoot with quite a few M42 lenses, so I've had to focus at f8 and even f16 before, it is doable even in dim lighting.

I'm planning on upgrading to a K-30 in the near future, I think I'll try a Canon Ee-S style screen for that one.
09-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Canon EE-S screen but have not cut it down to fit yet. I'm expecting a different experience with the EE-S than a split-prism. As long as the prism doesn't black out and you could see something to work with, lining up the two halves was the same with any lens. My biggest problem was not blackout, it was a subject that was too dark. I found the microprism collar was useful in the darkest conditions. Remember that blackout isn't about shooting aperture, it's about focusing aperture. You might see it with a mirror lens because it only opens to f8, but it's not a problem with an M50/1.7 shooting at f22, because the lens is held wide open for shooting.

The EE-S screen seems like it would be different with different maximum apertures, but I'm just guessing.