Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Sun in image?

Hello Folks,

I've seen a lot of photos that have the sun in the image. Is there danger to the eyes of the photographer when taking these shots?

Thanks, Tom

09-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DELETED. Apologies and thanks @Medium FormatPro for the correction!

Last edited by victordeamorin; 09-14-2012 at 06:07 AM.
09-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tatume Quote
Hello Folks,

I've seen a lot of photos that have the sun in the image. Is there danger to the eyes of the photographer when taking these shots?

Thanks, Tom
YES, there is indeed a danger associated with that!!! Direct sunlight may permanently damage your retina and you won't feel any real pain while it happenes.

It can be difficult to judge when the sunlight is sufficiently dimmed by haze, smog or thin clouds so, in general: Avoid looking directly at the sun with your naked, unprotected eye - and that goes for looking at the Sun through your viewfinder as well. Even at sunrise and sunset this can be dangerous and if you have liveview, I would recommend that for sunrise and sunset scenes.
09-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
I think in most cases the pictures you have in mind are wide-angle with the sun in a corner. In that case no, I don't think there's any danger
Unfortunately incorrect. Even if it would be a full frame image capture using the widest possible full fish eye lens... There is still a danger of permenant damage - and it would not take long. Any fully accredited medical doctor or even an optician tech could also clearly verify that one

09-14-2012, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I think you have to use caution and not stare directly at the sun. I took the shot below by estimating where the sun would be in shot, and would not recommend looking directly at the sun.

09-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a fine shot.
09-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

This is one area where a LCD/EVF is a huge advantage. You can shoot directly into the sun with no worries to your eyesight.
09-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have heard reliable stories of the sun burning a hole right through the old style non metal shutter curtains on film cameras if they are left sitting facing up in the sun for any length of time during a photo shoot but I don't know if a telephoto lens would increase that effect or not.

For a DSLR use live view, for a film camera bring sunglasses, since I'm a dipshit who does wide angle with the sun without using sunglasses and I can still see I'm going to stand behind good sunglasses being enough unless you take all day to compose the image.