Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metz 48 refuses to fire at dialed power with K-x

I have a Metz 48 flash, K200D, K-x, and mostly manual lenses. When I have the Metz on the K200D with a manual lens, the flash will fire at the power which I've dialed in. When I put it on the K-x (moving the lens from the K200D as well), the flash fires at what looks like the weakest power. Is there some setting on the K-x which is preventing me from setting flash power?

Another data point is that when I have a modern lens (DA35/2.4) on the K-x with flash, the flash will fire at intended power.

I have cleaned the hot shoe contacts on the K-x and that didn't do anything. Both bodies were in M mode the whole time.

This does not seem like normal behavior to me. Is it normal for K-x's? Or did I just get a bad copy? I've also posted recently about what I think/thought might be viewfinder/focus issues: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/198991-...sus-k200d.html

EDIT: I did not change any flash settings, the flash is on P, TTL, HSS mode. I don't think it's an issue of flash battery charge level, since the flash indicates that it's ready to fire. Also, I uploaded two images from the K-x, with EXIF intact: one with manual lens (M 85/2) and flash fired; and one with modern lens (DA 35/2.4) and flash fired.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by ChooseAName; 09-15-2012 at 06:31 PM.
09-16-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know if this is your problem. I have a third party pTTL flash that works fine with my K200D, but doesn't work with my K-R. Seems Pentax changed the electronic settings in the newer cameras. You could contact Metz and see if there is a firmware update for your flash.
09-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I don't know if this is your problem. I have a third party pTTL flash that works fine with my K200D, but doesn't work with my K-R. Seems Pentax changed the electronic settings in the newer cameras. You could contact Metz and see if there is a firmware update for your flash.
Thanks! The firmware update fixed the problem. I didn't need to contact Metz because they have all their firmware updates on their website.