Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Goodman to know!

Looking in apug.org for advice on resealing my Olympus OM-2n, Jon Goodman was cited as the go-to man for a seals kit with good instructions. He had been selling via ebay, but no more, so I sent him an email at jgood21967@aol.com He replied two days later, apologized for the delay (!) and said that if I sent him my mailing address he'd ship the kit off in the morning, and I could send him a check, money order, or cash for $9.00 plus $1.00 shipping at my convenience! Truly his name is what he is!

09-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are good folks out there, glad you found one!
09-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The kit arrived today. The instructions seem clear enough, although I want to have the camera in hand and review the mirror instructions before I start. Nice to see that the long strips top and bottom don't need adhesive.

Funny, my ancient Retina I, with uncoated f3.5 Ektar, has no seals and never did. It uses what amounts to a simple labyrinth to exclude light. I wonder why manufacturers began using plastic foam, which deteriorates over time.
09-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+ 1 for Jon Goodman & his seal kits - I've bought a couple of them. I had a couple questions when doing my first one, and emailed him. I got a response the same day! As far as why the manufacturers went with foam, maybe 30 or 40 yrs ago they didn't know exactly how long the material would last. They probably never envisioned so many of those cameras would still be in use in 2012!

Last edited by paulh; 09-20-2012 at 02:28 PM.
09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another 1+ for Jon Goodman. His kits and materials are first rate as is his service.

Steve