Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Duracell Class 10.200x ProPhoto SDHC Memory Card Data Recovery Possible?

I purchased this card from Amazon to take pictures of my new born baby.. The card is loaded in my Pentax KR and after a few months the card died. The card is not being read on the computer and Duracell have been no help. They passed the request to Dane-Elec who are also useless

Does anyone know if it is possible to recover this data? I have tried all the software options with no help

I have also some Chinese cheap cards in my Panasonic camera and they never failed, I thought Duracell would be a trusted brand

09-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Welcome Aboard. The short answer to your question is - probably.

There are a variety of resources available. Here is a link to the threads that deal with this topic:
sd recovery - Tagged Pentax Forum Threads - PentaxForums.com
12-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2
QuoteOriginally posted by Ricey79 Quote
I purchased this card from Amazon to take pictures of my new born baby.. The card is loaded in my Pentax KR and after a few months the card died. The card is not being read on the computer and Duracell have been no help. They passed the request to Dane-Elec who are also useless

Does anyone know if it is possible to recover this data? I have tried all the software options with no help

I have also some Chinese cheap cards in my Panasonic camera and they never failed, I thought Duracell would be a trusted brand
I think this trouble is hard to avoid! No matter which famours brands of memory card. Anyway, famours brand is better. I have use SanDisk, Kingston, Samsung, etc memory card to my camera, but after a period of time some trouble still occur. I have follow those guides that tell you how to make good use of memory card. So the best way to avoid photo loss from memory card is backup. For your trouble, you can choose to use some photo recovery software. I ever used this software to recover photos from SDHC card, know more here: Tenorshare Photo Recovery - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
12-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,652
Duracell is not a SD card company. Stick with brands that are famous for their SD cards, i.e. Kingston and SanDisk.

Also copy your photos to the computer every once in a while, even if you don't run out of space (I do though, on my last China trip I took around 30-50 GB a day. For almost a month).

My recovery software of choice is PhotoRec... it comes together with TestDisk and it works great.

Good luck!

Ps: Obvious things like don't ever write anything to that card apply of course, maybe you should lock the SD card with that physical switch.

12-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,450
You can never have took many backups. I have drop box, photo bucket, an external hard drive, laptop, desktop and kids desktop. I occasionally transfer photos to any number of flash drives floating around the house.
12-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,652
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
You can never have took many backups. I have drop box, photo bucket, an external hard drive, laptop, desktop and kids desktop. I occasionally transfer photos to any number of flash drives floating around the house.
Yeah. For me I transfer my photos/videos to my computer every day, from where it is backed up to CrashPlan. If I'm travelling, I try to send the files back home to my computer from my laptop, so that they get backed up... and to free disk space.
12-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
Posts: 1,234
Having lost photos to hard drive failure etc. I too back up to multiple sources. One that hasn't been mentioned is backing them up to DVD disks, at least what you feel are your important ones on them. The beauty of today's storage is TB disks are cheap so its easy to keep multiple ones.
12-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,261
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
My recovery software of choice is PhotoRec... it comes together with TestDisk and it works great.

Good luck!

Ps: Obvious things like don't ever write anything to that card apply of course, maybe you should lock the SD card with that physical switch.
+1 for PhotoRec. I've looked at several file recovery (free) programs and PhotoRec is by far the best. It found and recovered images I deleted months before whereas the others (even with deep scanning) said there were no recoverable files. It even recognizes PEF files - you have to check the documentation to see which version. It may not have a fancy graphical interface but is still very straight-forward to use.

PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery

However if the card isn't even recognized by either the camera or PC it maybe beyond all recovery. Are you tethering the camera or using a card reader attached to your computer. Try a different card reader. TestDisk might able to find the card.

As suggested earlier, set the read only tab to prevent accidental writes, deletes or formatting the card.

12-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,652
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Having lost photos to hard drive failure etc. I too back up to multiple sources. One that hasn't been mentioned is backing them up to DVD disks, at least what you feel are your important ones on them. The beauty of today's storage is TB disks are cheap so its easy to keep multiple ones.
DVDs aren't exactly safe.


@Not a Number: Just use the latest version of PhotoRec that is stable... It should support the most formats.


TestDisk can also make an image of the entire SD card, so you can keep it and use newer versions of PhotoRec in future on the image to see if there is more to be recovered.
12-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,450
No single source of back up is safe. That's why it's important to use multiple backups and frequently. And if you have something priceless to you, it's doubly important.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
card, data, duracell, help, memory card data, pentax help, sdhc memory card
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Memory card recovery after formatting dicks11 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 18 03-21-2014 05:01 AM
32GB SDHC Memory Card Ultra Class 10 UHS-I $18.95 w/free shipping @ B&H jogiba Pentax Price Watch 35 06-14-2012 04:26 AM
For Sale - Sold: SanDisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 High Performance Memory Card (2) mackloon Sold Items 3 07-22-2011 04:16 PM
Class of SDHC card for K-x BobIr Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 01-09-2011 09:00 AM
San Disk 32GB Extreme SD SDHC Card Class 10 30MB/s 200x koper Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 7 07-10-2010 11:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top