Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMurphy37 Quote
Would just the 2x Macro Focusing Tele-Converter with the 50mm f/1.8 create and accentuate enough lens aberrations to effectively ruin a photo? What else can reduce these problems other than using a more narrow aperture? It seems with the 2xMFTC that the macro-mode looks sharp as far as I can I tell, but when used in "normal" mode I can see a slight but noticeable reduction in sharpness. Could there possibly be an "optimal" range, where focal length, focus distance, and aperture all meet to produce an image with the least amount of any kind of distortion?
The only way to really tell would be to shoot a flat target using the macro focusing TC and then compare that to a true 100mm macro at the same target and magnification.

I have not done that yet with my macro focusing TC, and I do have an SMC-M 100/4 macro as well as an M 50/2 to compare apples and apples

09-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
Pentaxian

You would probably be better off using a 100mm lens with tubes instead of trying to use your 50 with 2x.
09-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
You would probably be better off using a 100mm lens with tubes instead of trying to use your 50 with 2x.
Probably, but this is a good learning experience. If I can learn how to avoid the effects of lens aberration on a TC, I'll do much better without one.

For my Pentax, I have 3 extension tubes. Would these produce and accentuate lens aberrations as well? What about the use of longer focal length lenses?
09-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I can learn how to avoid the effects of lens aberration on a TC
You can reduce CA by stopping down. Lens distortion is inherent in the lens (or lens/TC combination).

I have 3 extension tubes. Would these produce and accentuate lens aberrations as well?
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, other than the magnification that comes from adding extension. That is, you won't be introducing new aberrations, as you may with a TC.

09-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Yes, stopping down will reduce longitudinal chromatic but it will not reduce lateral chromatic. A really good converter will be corrected well for each and will not add them but an average converter could easily. I use the 1.4X converter from Pentax for their 6x7 and it is a great one; no image degradation.