Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Flash woes

Im using a k-5 and a Metz 50af-1

Basically in wireless mode the camera will fire the flash off camera which is in M optical servo mode (preflash supression) and all is well.

However my favourite lens in the whole world is a manual lens from 1976. With that in the camera wireless is not available to me :-(
So I use normal flash but that won't trigger the Metz. However normal flash works as a trigger for the Metz with Any of my new DA lenses?! It's only with this old lens that everything stops working.

I love this lens! It's a 50mm f1.4 that makes every portrait so damn fine. What can I do and why does this problem occur?

09-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

Original Poster
I'm using on camera flash btw
09-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The old manual lens does not transmit aperture data to the body, so the body cannot relay that info to the flash. If you had the Metz 50 on your hotshoe with that lens mounted, it would fire at full strength in pTTL mode because that's the only thing it can guess to do, and you would have to adjust the lens aperture/ISO based on the guide number and subject distance to compensate. I'm not entirely sure why Pentax doesn't just allow manual control over the pop-up flash so that it could act as a trigger for a "dumb" optical slave, other brands do, but Pentax doesn't. Anyway, a radio trigger is the answer to your problems. You will be able to set the power level of the flash manually, and the radio trigger will handle the syncing. I recommend the Cactus V5s, they're a little bit more expensive than the fleabay alternatives, but still pretty affordable and way more reliable.
09-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can put the Metz in wireless manual mode so that the flash is fired by the light and not by wireless. Then just manually adjust the power output on the flash unit as well as your on-camera flash. Works like a charm~

09-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
That's the problem I'm not using any TTL and the flash is in 'Dumb' Mode. It still won't fire from the camera even the light. It will fire off any old point and shoot I have just not my k5 when it has this lens on it?! I'm confused
09-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
Oh radio triggers packed up waiting on replacements hence need for optical
09-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fizzyhair Quote
Oh radio triggers packed up waiting on replacements hence need for optical
There is no way to do it legit optically, you'll have to hack the lens mount. This is what you'll need to do.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r/178928-kr-short-contacts-chang...ml#post1867401

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 09-17-2012 at 08:11 PM.