Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
corrupting files - need help plz

HI - I hope somebody can help. I shoot raw and jpeg both, this is only happening to my RAW photos, they can load fine in lightroom, but then turn to these, or I can edit in lightroom and when I import them to elements this happens (or a stripe going through them too also happens on import to elements) they stay damaged even if i save to disk and open on my laptop. I resently had work done on my computer, and now this is happening, I can load from my camera to my laptop to lightroom, and it is all good. Does anybody know what could be wrong with my PC that is causing this? This does not happen to every photo.

Please and Thank you

Attached Images

09-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PEF or DNG? Which camera? What memory card?

Does this happen with different memory cards?

Are you converting to DNG on import?

If you are having no problems on your laptop with the same images then I would look at either the card reader on your PC (assuming that's what you use to load them) or check your installation of LR.

Take one of the corrupted images and copy it from your PC to the laptop and see if LR there can import it without problems. That might isolate whether it is something LR is doing during the import.
09-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Jatrax - both my Kr and K30 - yes different memory cards, they load fine into my laptop, they only do this when I use my PC. and sometimes after they are loaded and I am viewing them to pick the ones I want to edit they go all wierd. Yes once it is corrupted it stays that way I can save to a flash drive and open with my lap top and it stay yucky. If i reload it from the camera on the laptop it is fine. I am not a computer tech, and I am afraid to open my photos as they are getting distroyed. (not all my photos, but enough) thanks
09-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try copying from laptop to PC via flash drive. If you still have one of the bad files on a card.

I don't really have any ideas what is going on but when troubleshooting it is always best to start from scratch and try to locate at which point things go wrong. Try things different ways and keep notes. Eventually you hit an "ah ha".

So so far we know two different cameras, multiple cards so we can eliminate those. Next thing to test is the card reader on the PC. So either import to laptop and then manually copy over via flash drive or use the USB cable to import to the PC. Or both, we are just testing, right?

09-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks Jatrax - I'll try that next
09-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Your raw to jpg conversion may use routines of the graphics processor of your PC. The drivers of the graphics card/processor may be faulty.

None of the manufacturers has ever offered a bug-free driver set for graphic processors. Known issues are usually circumnavigated by fixes in the application software.

I had several times (with different computers) severe problems with graphics after allowing Windows Update to install new graphics drivers. Since that time I refuse hardware driver updates offered by Microsoft. The more, as it is sometimes not easy to downgrade these drivers to an earlier version.
09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Your raw to jpg conversion may use routines of the graphics processor of your PC. The drivers of the graphics card/processor may be faulty.

None of the manufacturers has ever offered a bug-free driver set for graphic processors. Known issues are usually circumnavigated by fixes in the application software.

I had several times (with different computers) severe problems with graphics after allowing Windows Update to install new graphics drivers. Since that time I refuse hardware driver updates offered by Microsoft. The more, as it is sometimes not easy to downgrade these drivers to an earlier version.
thank you I am 99.9 % sure you are correct. I don't think I will update my drivers anymore once i have this fixed. (and by fixed I mean a new computer and reinstalling my elements and lightroom)
09-25-2012, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #8

Not sure exactly what is corrupting your files but it does sound very likely to be your video card driver or your software installation. What I want to suggest is a simple bit of protection. Before I do anything with the files on my SD card, I make them "Read Only". For those who don't know what this means. Access your card and when you get to the list of photo files just click on any file, then hold [Ctrl] and tap [A], this will select all the files. Now right click the list to bring up an option box, you'll see properties near the bottom, click that. In the box that comes up near the bottom you'll see an option to select "Read Only", click this and then click OK. You can copy the files anywhere you want to put them, the more places the better. NOW, anytime you want to make a change to the files you will have to do a "Save As" and at the least slightly give the file a different name and the original will remain with the original name. With JPG/JPEG files, your software will not further compress the file without your permission and many do without your knowing it if you don't do this. While we're here in your card. Open wordpad on whatever computer you're using. Now type in all your contact information, then select it all and increase the font to about 30 or so. Take a photo of the screen and later find it and name it "OwnerInfo" and put it where you can save it to the root directory of your SD card(s). Alternately you can do a [Prt Sc] and paste it to your Paint program and do the same thing. You can also save the wordpad file as an ASCII text file and save it to your SD card's root as well. Now if someone finds your camera &/or SD card, and if they are honest, they'll know how to contact you. Hope this helps someone. I recently read about a guy who found a camera and had to do a lot of research to get it back to the original owner.