Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The K-5 is really nice if you're at all a "technical" shooter who likes to manage settings yourself. Personally, I check that top LCD a lot. I've seen my settings change - probably inadvertantly brushing the wheels while walking around. It's a great feature to just glance at while setting up a shot.
As I wrote earlier, I missed the top LCD on my K-r as opposed to my older K110D ... don' t get me wrong, the K-r is still a great imaging tool.

Although I knew that the K-30 lacked a top LCD before I ever held one, it still was a "disappointment" to see a upper mid-ranged DSLR without one ... but maybe that's just me due to my previous experience and preferences.

Enjoy the K-5, you'll love it ... Salut, John

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 09-21-2012 at 07:56 AM.
09-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, the quick glance as you're bringing the camera up can be a difference between under and overexposure. I look, and adjust wheels on the way to my eye. So many times I'll see the aperture has bumped. TAv is the mode I'm typically using so I can adjust shutter speed and aperture to keep good DoF and keep the ISO in a comfortable range. I'm a little less proficient at adjusting ISO unless I'm out in the snow on a sunny day, then I'll bump it a bit.

I cut my photo teeth in the early '80s with my Dad's all-manual Minolta. Researching his lenses a couple years ago I found out he had a couple quite nice ones - no wonder I could get good shots in the darkened theatres for the school yearbook/newsletters.

I've found the K-5 (and K-10 which attracted me to Pentax) lets me be as technical as I want, or as automatic as I want. I appreciate the ability to choose.
10-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #18

I just made this decision myself and went with the k5, I've only gotten seriously into photography this year and started with an s100 before decidingb to jump to dslr, here was my reasons why I choose k5 over k30:

- Wanted metal body construction (both for toughness and I like a bit of weight to the camera). It's still not an overly heavy camera (def lightly than NIKON/CANON equivalents)

- Wanted the top LCD screen, this was more a gut instinct thing (since I did not own a DSLR before) but I really liked the idea of having all the important info available without having to swtich on the back screen, both from a battery life point of view and a quick adjustment point of view.

- The k5 is in the twilight of its cycle thus most production issues/quirks should be ironed out. After experiencing the lens issue with the s100 (needed to be sent off to be fixed, it was free but still a hassle) I'm pretty wary of new products in their first run, I've read of countless cameras having little issues and such which would later be eliminated.

- More controls, I've been reading up a lot on the various techniques and settings on DSLRS and wanted one with as many controls as possible, this was also a reason I was put off Nikon/Canon entry level stuff, I would've had to go to D60/D7000 to get what I wanted and the k5 offered everything I wanted at a nice price.

- Great reputation of the k5, as it's been around for 2 years it's easy to see it's a much loved camera which produces fantastic results.

- No interest in Video, I only want a dlsr to shoot stills, for simple videos I'd rather use my s100 or buy a dedicated camcorder etc.

- Price, I paid just a little more for the K5 than I would have for the k30, I see the k5 as a prosumer/enthusiast level camera where I think the k30 falls in the bracket below, right now I think the k5 represents the best value on the dslr market for features vs. price point. I intend to use it for years, I know if I had bought a lower level camera I would always regret not paying the bit extra to get everything I want, but then again I'm very interested in learning about photography, not everyone fits into this bracket and for some people the extra controls would be not needed/confusing.

The k30 still blows anything else in it's price range out of the water in terms of features though I think, if I had been buying in 2 or 3 months when the K5ii was out (and prob at a much higher price than the k30) I would've been all over it, but at it's current price it's hard to say no to the k5.

I used the camera for the first time at the weekend and loved it, I have a lot to learn but was pretty happy with some of the pictures I took!
10-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Congrats, either one is a can't miss! You should have years of enjoyment with your new K-5. Now watch out for LBA!

10-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #20

I have a K-7 with a small problem. I was considering the K-5 also vs. K-30 while getting my K-7 repaired. My concern is the auto focus of the K-5. The K-5II is supposed to address that issue. I have decided against the K-30 but does anyone think the auto focus issue is worth the extra $300 for the K-5II? Teebone please update us on your K-5. Thanks
10-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wldrnss Quote
I have a K-7 with a small problem. I was considering the K-5 also vs. K-30 while getting my K-7 repaired. My concern is the auto focus of the K-5. The K-5II is supposed to address that issue. I have decided against the K-30 but does anyone think the auto focus issue is worth the extra $300 for the K-5II? Teebone please update us on your K-5. Thanks
Frst off, welcome to the forum!

If the difference in price between the K-5 and the K-5II is only $300 (I haven't been watching prices), I would go for the K-5II for a couple reasons. The first, as you already mentioned, the updated auto focus. The second is the hope that Pentax/Ricoh has also corrected some of the other issues reported with the K-5 but not necessarily mentioned, like the lens change button falling off some. Last, although any firmware updates made for the K-5II may work on the K-5, it's more likely they will not.

I know I'm not Teebone, but that's my take on it.
10-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #22

Thanks Tom...I just thought I would tag onto Teebone's thread since I started in the same place he did. That is a big help. It is always good to know what else may be updated on the K-5II.