Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #1

Pentax K-5 vs. K-30 Purchase

I am ready to purchase a K-5 w/18-55mm zoom lens. The price for the K-5 is currently within $30 to $100 of the price of a K-30 w/18-55mm zoom lens. Is there any justification for purchasing the K-30 rather than the K-5 now that their prices are comparable. My review of both cameras specifications and comments on this forum lead me to believe it is a "no brainer" to purchase the K-5 but I am such a green horn I still question my decision to buy the K-5. Your thought, comments, advise will be appreciated.
Ted

09-18-2012, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Depends on what you are looking for in a camera.

If you need good AF and shoot mostly JPEG then get the K30
If you shoot RAW and need the extra buttons get the K5

Thats the very very basic comparison conclusion
If you fall in between it would be a hard choice.
09-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Seems the K-30 is perhaps better at video than the K-5?

In any event, whichever you choose, consider carefully whether you really need the 18-55. It's recognised as the best kit lens, but if you do feel you want one get the WR version, otherwise you won't be 'safe' with either camera in the rain, etc.
09-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you care about video or use live view a lot, get the K-30. Otherwise, the K-5 is the better camera- although if you compare the K-5 to the K-30 in terms of video and live view focusing, then the K-30 wins hands-down.

Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It is possible that the K30 will get some more firmware updates and become a better camera yet, but I'd be quite surprised if it could surpass the K-5. Keep in mind, this was Pentax's flagship camera until very recently.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you care about video or use live view a lot, get the K-30. Otherwise, the K-5 is the better camera- although if you compare the K-5 to the K-30 in terms of video and live view focusing, then the K-30 wins hands-down.

Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
So the K30 is only better at autofocusing when comparing LV? I thought it was supposed to be a bit better overall.
09-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Bonjour,

Just my two cents ... I finally got my hands upon a K-30 in my local FNAC store and to be honest, I was a bit disappointed .... comparing it to the K-5 that I've had since November. The K-5 just feels better IMHO, and the lack of the top screen is a lot for me. I had a K-r before the K-5 and missed the top screen ... like I have on the good ol'trusty K110D ... There it is for what it's worth. Bon courage, John

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 09-20-2012 at 01:11 PM.
09-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've just bought my K5 and it feels fantastic in my hand... It's just really really nice to hold
09-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
I see I posted my question twice. Sorry for the mistake.

Thanks for all the responses, I sincerely appreciate all of them. JohnX your comment about the 18-55mm lens does raise a question for which I have not completely come to grips. When I first joined this group I mentioned I have several SMC Pentax -A lens that I will use with the new Pentax camera I buy to replace my ME Super. One of the SMC Pentax-A lens is a 1:3.5 35-105mm zoom lens. This lens was the one I used 95% of the time on my old ME Super and I was hoping to use it on the new Pentax DSLR that I plan to buy like I did on my ME Super. However, it was suggested at the time that I may want to buy my new DSLR with a lens that was specifically designed for use on the digital camera, thus, the reason for a purchase of both the DSLR and the 18-55mm lens. My preference would be to purchase only the DSLR camera body (which will probably be the K-5) and use my currently owned 35-105mm lens. If my current 35-105mm lens is not a good option on the new DSLR cameras as I found it to be on my ME Super what new lens specifically designed for used on a K-5 camera would you all recommend?

Ted

09-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that 35-105mm, it is one of the best Pentax A zooms. It won't be as wide as it was on the ME Super, but it is still a very usable range on an APS-C crop. I'd still recommend getting an 18-55mm for when you need a wide angle and auto focus, preferably a WR one.
09-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #10

Original Poster
Elliott,
By "WR" you are referring to "weather resistant" lens, correct? I haven't checked (but I will) to see if the 18-55mm lens that comes as a package deal with the K-5 is WR. Thanks for your advise, I will stick with my plan to purchase both the K-5 with the 18-5mm lens.
Ted
09-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Yes, I don't know why they don't seem to sell the K-30 with a 18-55mm WR lens in the kit, I guess because they want to sell the more expensive 18-135mm.
09-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Seems the K-30 is perhaps better at video than the K-5?
The K30 has better controls but overall the majority seem to agree the K5 is actually better in the end.
Better file format for editing and audio input are the things that makes it better for the more serious work.
09-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you for your comments and advise. I have purchased a K-5 with the 18-55mm WP zoom lens. It is to be delivered early next week. I have a lot to learn about photography and I am looking forward to the learning experience.

Thanks again for all your help,
Ted
09-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-5 is really nice if you're at all a "technical" shooter who likes to manage settings yourself. Personally, I check that top LCD a lot. I've seen my settings change - probably inadvertantly brushing the wheels while walking around. It's a great feature to just glance at while setting up a shot.
09-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #15

Original Poster
Terry,
I am not a "technical" shooter, far from it. We lived a number of years in New Mexico and as a family we camped and hiked in many beautiful areas of the Southwest. My Pentax ME Super was always with us and as a result we have many memorable photos of these great family outings. As a result of our family interest in photography during our children's growing-up years, my two daughters (both in their 40's now) are excellent photographers as are several of our grandchildren. Even though we took many rolls of film I never became a "technical" shooter but I hope to correct that when I receive my new K-5. Thanks for your advise on keeping a check on the top LCD as I need all the advise and instructions I can get.
Ted