Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #1

Problem opening photos

Hi everyone.

I wonder if someone could help with a problem that is doing my head in. I have been working in Photoshop Elements 10 and editing some photos. I have been saving them as jpegs and and as PSD files. I have gone back to check them and some of them will not open. In Windows Picture Gallery I get the message " Picture Gallery can't open this picture or video. This file format is not supported, or you don't have the latest updates to Picture Gallery" . In Photoshop Elements I get the message: " Could not complete your request as an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found." I have tried GIMP and I get the message: "Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x55 0xaa."

I have been working on these files for ages. This is a commercial project and I am really stuck.

Any help would be most greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

09-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
As long as you save or convert the files to JPG, you should have no problems. However Windows will not display photo files saved in PSD format. PSD is a file format exclusive to Photo Shop. After you edit a file, PSD becomes the default save format, but you can use the drop down menu on the right to change it to JPG instead.
09-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try Irfanview or Fastone Viewer. If they cannot open them then you have some type of file corruption happening.

Do the psd files open correctly? Do you have archival backups?
09-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I saved them in both jpeg and PSD and neither will open. I have the originals but the edited ones involved hours of work. Will try rescue software.

09-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sbasram Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I saved them in both jpeg and PSD and neither will open. I have the originals but the edited ones involved hours of work. Will try rescue software.
try to change the file extension from .psd to .jpg or .tiff to see if that will help.you will get a message that is might make the file unusable or unstable, but just ignore it. if it doesn't work just put the extension back to .jpg and it will be the same as the original file.

the odd time an editing program puts a double extension (like mypic.jpg.jpg) which is usually me not paying attention to the file name, or I made an action that does it. right click on the file and see the properties of the pic. change the name/extension as necessary
hope this helps

randy