Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Start up and Card Read Problems:Some Solutions

I thought I would pass on a couple of tips since I have gained so much from this and the other forum when confronting problems.

After buying a K-X my DS2 languished for several months unused. When I checked it out, I was getting a dead battery and no card indication. Cleaning contacts and new batteries did not help. On this forum I found advice to turn the camera on and off several times in rapid succession. This cleared up the battery problem. I assume there was some oxidation in the switch itself.

I was still getting a no card read. I dipped an SD card in alcohol, shook off some of the liquid and then inserted it twice in the camera. Voila, I was not getting a card read error. I assume there was some oxidation in the slot which I was able to remove. I probably should not have stored the camera with no SD card in it.

I now have my backup camera back and plan to use it on a more regular basis. Hope this helps someone.

09-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it was great you didn't leave a card there. It might have oxidized too.
09-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oxidation

I thought perhaps the card would cut down the air access to the surfaces. But you may be right. The alcohol treatment would be the same. I forgot to mention that an over 90% alcohol solution should be used. Lower concentrations contain contaminants, as someone on the other forum noted.
09-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Noted, thanks.