Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any US Based Pentax Repair Centers?

Can anyone recommend an authorized Pentax Repair center in the US that does not funnel their work to C.R.I.S Camera?
My last experience has been the last straw with them.

They have had one of my flashes in for the same repair at least four times.
One lens for the same repair three times.
Another lens in for repair but it came back so out of focus it had to go back.

Finally, I sent my K5 in for sensor stain cleaning and tune up (just over a year old).
My K5 came back completely NON-weather sealed.
Where I was once able to routinely rinse off dirt, mud and other stuff, the K5 now collects water like a sponge.
I sat it in a bag of rice over night on a low power heating pad... approximately a tablespoon+ of water condensed on the bag!

CRIS Camera is obviously unable to handle Pentax equipment, and I am hoping to get a good recommendation on another repair center.

09-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Called Pentax, and it sounds like all of the US repair centers will send the equipment to CRIS if they cannot do the repair.
In past experiences, the equipment has always been sent to CRIS, so I don't know what these places actually do to be "Certified" Pentax service centers. It seems they're just mail forwarding drop boxes.
So, I'm pretty much Sh-- Out Of Luck.

I love Pentax and have hopes for the future with Ricoh, but if I cannot rely on competent service personnel, I'm gonna have to switch.
Not looking forward to moving. erg....

If anyone has ideas, I'd be happy to hear if you've found a competent place to do repairs.
09-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
That is frustrating! From their website- you can find local repair shops who will service you IF they have the parts. If not, they will send it back to CRIS. At least it is nice to know you can have it checked by someone before deciding the ship it out. I went this route when my LCD screen started to malfunction. I didn't know if it was a weather thing or what and the shop told me to ship it in.

My K-r should be shipping back soon hopefully. Here is a timeline for others wondering about the turn around time for their parts in repair:

Received 8/8/2012
In Repair 8/9/2012
Parts Hold 8/13/2012
Parts Hold Back Order 8/16/2012
In Repair 9/17/2012
Quality Assurance 9/24/2012
Shipped / Tracking #
09-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, that turnaround time seems typical. No one has Pentax parts on hand, even CRIS.
So every item I send for repair goes into back order and sits that way for a month.

I suppose it would be worth hearing if anyone else had bad (or good) experiences with CRIS repairs.
Is it just me? Or are others also having similar issues with them?