Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus Screen - is this a scratch?

Hi,

I tried to clean a focus screen recently using the detergent, distilled water, etc. method. After I put the screen back in (with some difficulty), I noticed what appears to be a threadlike thing on the right hand side of the split. I took the screen out and used a blower on it. No change. I was wondering if it looks like I might have damaged it. Does this appear to be a scratch?

Thanks

09-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It looks like it's either a scratch or some water has been able to seep into the crease.
09-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The procedure was done Saturday, and the pic was taken today. Wondering if water could still be a culprit at this point.
09-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi Spodworld,
Can you identify which highlighted area is subject to the inquiry?

09-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
The procedure was done Saturday, and the pic was taken today. Wondering if water could still be a culprit at this point.
I think he means a water stain.

Though in the end, if you noticed it prior too and after a wash then it's unlikely that its a water stain. Not saying it's impossible, though in most cases, a water stain will often disolve once the screen is submerged again. That being said, I think we could get a better look if you took a macro shot of the area and posted a 1:1 crop of that area?

Do you have a lens or adapter that can help do that? (Raynox, reversal ring, extension tube etc)

Last edited by JohnBee; 09-25-2012 at 09:06 AM.
09-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have so much gunk on my focus screens, I just learn to look past them. It won't show up on your pictures.
Taking it out to try and clean it always seems to cause more problems than it fixes, IMO.
09-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for your feedback....

Hi John,

I was talking about the bottom item, at the right side of the split (but, while you on it, the upper one also showed up after the focus screen bath, and still remains too). It actually looks like a fairly sharp dark thread when it is clearer (if I could focus it better). I did use a macro lens (Tamron 60mm f2), but maybe I'll give it another try.

I did not notice it prior to washing.

After noticing it, I removed it again, didn't really see anything visually inspecting the screen, and tried using the blower.

That didn't seem to make a difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I think he means a water stain.

Though in the end, if you noticed it prior too and after a wash then it's unlikely that its a water stain. Not saying it's impossible, though in most cases, a water stain will often disolve once the screen is submerged again. That being said, I think we could get a better look if you took a macro shot of the area and posted a 1:1 crop of that area?

Do you have a lens or adapter that can help do that? (Raynox, reversal ring, extension tube etc)

Last edited by Spodeworld; 09-25-2012 at 11:24 AM.
09-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I have so much gunk on my focus screens, I just learn to look past them. It won't show up on your pictures.
Taking it out to try and clean it always seems to cause more problems than it fixes, IMO.
Yes, you are corrrect.

I removed the focus screen on my K20D to remove an insolent speck of dust and scratched it. Then I had to buy a new focus screen because of the scratch and ended up scratching that upon installation. So I had to buy a new focus screen which I made damn sure of that everything went according to plan, which it did... finally.

09-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow...that must have set you back a bit...esp if they were Katzeye or focusingscreen.com screens

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Yes, you are corrrect.

I removed the focus screen on my K20D to remove an insolent speck of dust and scratched it. Then I had to buy a new focus screen because of the scratch and ended up scratching that upon installation. So I had to buy a new focus screen which I made damn sure of that everything went according to plan, which it did... finally.
09-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any expense was unnecessary since it was out of stupidity in the first place. I took the opportunity to upgrade the focus screen from the basic K20D to the LL-80 Divided screen, and then had to replace that one. So it came to about $100... Luckily I just swallowed it and moved on. Haven't really played much with focussing screens since.

Life... and its experiences... :P

-Mike

Wow...that must have set you back a bit...esp if they were Katzeye or focusingscreen.com screens
09-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #11

Hi, can I know where did you buy your focusing screen? Thank you
09-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adawong Quote
Hi, can I know where did you buy your focusing screen? Thank you
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! You have revived a zombie thread.

There are a number of discussions on this site in regards to aftermarket screens and the plus and minus points of the various types. The main vendors in order of decreasing cost are:To get clarification on the individual types, I would suggest starting a new thread in the camera and field accessories section of this site:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/

Steve