Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #1

Macro lens wont work

Oh dear i have dropped my pentax K200 camera and now my macro/normal 28-90 sigma lens won't work, have i completely damaged it? in the window it keeps showing me an F- -, and i cant take a picture at all nor will the button that turns to different exposures. any ideas.

If i put my spare Pentax 18-55 normal lens on i dont have any troubles.

Plus before i dropped it, my veiwing window (after photos have been taken) always seems to be whitish/hazy look, but when i put the sd card into computer the photos look great, any ideas why. I dont know what to do and i dont know why this is happening. " Not happy jan"

09-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
F-- means it isn't reading the contacts properly, first port of call would be to try cleaning them. There are various methods recommended to do this (such as erasers for pencils and such) but I personally just use a bit of rubbing alcohol; hasn't failed me yet. Though a drop cause more serious issues.

Viewfinder being hazy, but photos being fine, is probably the mirror (or viewfinder itself) being dirty/smudged, or possibly even fungus. Try cleaning the mirror first and see if that gets you anywhere. Also, you say after photos have been taken... it's not just fogging up from you breathing on it while using it, is it? Just throwing that out there.
09-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rosebud Quote
veiwing window (after photos have been taken) always seems to be whitish/hazy look
Do you mean the lcd display on the back???
09-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Kona, thanks for replying. I have checked the mirror al clean, and so if the view finder. The fogging no no heavy breathing causing it. Found that its usually the outside times that it does this.. Where about are the contacts. the lens or the camera... I have a terriable feeling that it maybe the lens problem. Have tried to see how it would cost to get another one and im astounded as to the pricing. Not sure what to do.

09-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Calsan, ahhhh thats whats it is called LCD display, yes thats it.
09-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rosebud Quote
Where about are the contacts. the lens or the camera...
The contacts are on both the lens and the camera, however if only one lens is giving F-- where another isn't, you want to clean the contacts on that lens (though doing all won't hurt).

It's the row of little metallic dots on the rim of the lens where it connects to the camera.

As for things looking hazy/white on the LCD, it could be highlights blowing out on the screen, but not on your monitor? I'm really not sure how good the screen is on the older bodies -- it also depends on your monitor, too.

But yes, worst case scenario, the lens is kaput and you may need another... they are very pricy new, but you can get some great bargains second hand, such as in the marketplace here. I've not bought a single lens new since I bought my camera, bought almost all of them from the marketplace here. You may also be able to get a much better lens in the process.
09-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the lens AF normally? Do the aperture blades move as they should?
09-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
does this lens have a{A} setting if so make sure it has not move off that setting

09-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hopefully Crash is right - and the aperture ring (if it has one) has moved off the A setting. If not, and it's all clean, then either the lens mount or the camera mount may have been damaged. I had a quick look for the lens on the database and didn't find it.