Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a Tamron lens to compare it with, but all my AF lenses have 5 contacts like yours. Some have a space between #2 & #3 like yours, others have a copper or brass tab that's flush with the lens mount. I don't know the purpose of this, maybe grounding? (probably, since those lenses have plastic mounts)

You can try using the lens in M mode (your AF should still work)
Go to your camera's menu & set "use of aperture ring - permitted" (if you haven't already done so)
Set to M mode & set aperture ring to f/5.6 or f/8 to start with
Compose your shot
Hit the Green Button (this will set proper shutter speed based on your lens' aperture)
Take the shot

You can try this thru a range of apertures to see if its working properly. This isn't a fix, but might allow you to use the lens until you find the problem.

Last edited by paulh; 09-28-2012 at 10:49 AM.
09-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
I bet the stop down lever in his body isn't working correctly.
That is what I'm thinking, since the lens appears to be fine.

If you have your body set to optical DOF preview you should be able to see the lever moving in the mount when you pull the DOF preview. It will be on the left side when looking into the body mount.
09-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
how do i access/get rid of dof preview? sorry, but i'm new to pentax cameras...
help is much appreciated guys.
09-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
First, in the custom settings menu, look for "Preview Method" and make sure it is set to "Optical Preview". Then to activate the DOF preview, pull the power switch past ON to the little symbol that looks like an aperture. You should be able to hear the lever move, with the lens off you will see it moving.

09-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wave trust Quote
clarification, when the ring close to the body is set on 3.5 the pics are ok. when i move it towards 16 ,22 and then auto, they pics become black. In A they almost 100% black. Shouldnt't the camera recognize the A settings of the lens and set the appropriate f? what shoul i do?
thanks!
first of all, the camera is only intended to shoot with the lens in A position, for auto exposure, you should not be turning the aperture ring on the lens at all. But from your description it sounds like the mode setting is in manual, not Av mode. In Av mode it will always shoot wide open when trying to use the aperture ring.

If you wish to use the aperture ring, then set the camera to manual, set the aperture ring, and then press the green button, that will or should meter the scene.
09-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
the dof lever moves, i've used teh custom settings menu. can i shut off dof for good? even after setting dof to optical, still only black photos.
09-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lowell Goudge, i want toshoot with lens in A mode, but i only get black pics. I can teake decent pics only when the aperture ring on the lens is on 3.5
09-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
L33tGreg, how can i find out it is teh stop lever, and can it be fixed?

09-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
Pentaxian

L33tGreg, how can i find out it is teh stop lever, and can it be fixed?
Elliot already explained in an earlier post:
"Then to activate the DOF preview, pull the power switch past ON to the little symbol that looks like an aperture. You should be able to hear the lever move, with the lens off you will see it moving."
09-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Lowell Goudge, i want toshoot with lens in A mode, but i only get black pics. I can teake decent pics only when the aperture ring on the lens is on 3.5
I don't think this is a lens issue, but more a camera issue.

In Av mode, in any aperture setting other than A, the camera will shoot wide open.

when you put the lens in A mode, what exactly does the top LCD display?

F-- or an aperture that is controlled by the rear thumbwheel?

That is a start. if it shows F-- still in A mode then the camera is not reading the aperture, BUT that should give you a properly exposed photo in Av mode.

Are you really sure about the mode, can you put it into Manual? using the mode switch on the top left of the camera

what happens then?
09-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
lowell, with lens in A mode and camera in Av mode, i can control the F with the rear thumbwheel. If i put in in manual mode, i can control the f with front wheel and shutter speed with rear one. If i set anything else than A on the lens ring, the F blinks and looks like F--
09-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
paulh, i wanted to know if there is a trick in deactivating the dof preview. the lever moves and i hear the sound when i activate it. doesn't help me with the black pics i get. I thought the camera was stuc on dof mode or something and there is a way to change that.
09-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #28
Pentaxian

lowell, with lens in A mode and camera in Av mode, i can control the F with the rear thumbwheel. If i put in in manual mode, i can control the f with front wheel and shutter speed with rear one. If i set anything else than A on the lens ring, the F blinks and looks like F--
Ok thats a start, the camera at least thinks the lens is operating normally.

Now, if we go on from this point, in A mode is the viewfinder dark or light,? what I am getting at with this question is whether the aparture activation lever is letting the lens stay stopped down.

If not, the other possibility is the activation lever is always moving to the full open position, when shooting, which would explain why it produces dark images.

In that case, however, in manual mode on the camera green button metering using the aperture ring should work
09-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

In that case, however, in manual mode on the camera green button metering using the aperture ring should work
To do what Lowell suggested, go back to my post at the top of this page, to see how to shoot with this lens in M mode.
09-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
the viewfinder looks ok guys. in both A or 3.5 or other setting of the lens ring. it is bright. only the photos and the live view come up black when using A in the lens ring or any other setting apart from 3.5. same thing with the mode dial. The viewfinder shows correct details of the scene.