Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
just wondering!

i was wondering why some lenses of the same kind even though they are both new don't have the same price?

for instance!

the tamron 17-50 has a price range from 300 to 500 dollars in Ebay.

kind a insane right?

is it because they have different releases of the same lens?

if there is then which one is better?

right now i have the tamron 28-75 & i'm looking for a wider & all around walk around kind of lens because were planning to go madain saleh this october.

help anyone?

09-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
EBay is an auction place. People set whatever price they want. If you go to store sites like BH, Adorama, Amazon, etc. They pretty much have the same price on the same lens.
09-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yeah i know its an auction place yet still there are some retailers there who also post their products there.

& they post at exact selling price & not as for bidding.

which made me wonder a lot if there are different releases for one kind & model of a particular lens?

that made me ask which one is better.

as my thread title said just wondering?
09-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it's more likely although stated as new, either grey market, open box, demos and returns.

I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw the product. No, rethink that, I can throw a few pounds quite a ways

09-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Each different release would have slightly different model name. The latest one is always displayed on manufacture's website, which would also have info on the older version.
09-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK that sounds a bit reasonable...

so does that mean there is only one release or model for every particular lens even though they don't have the same price?
09-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
years ago i had an online business which i sold items through ebay...i bought from us distributors so everything was legitimate...i got the same item as the brick and mortar... the price i got was based on volume so my price wasn't as good as someone who bought higher volumes...i actually sold pentax for awhile...at that time pentax did not have a map so you could sell it at any price.. it was very obvious to me that grey market items were being sold because there was no way anyone, even B&H could have sold at some of the prices listed and make any money... some other factors that could affect pricing is what ebay fees were charged for selling an item...the more you sold the less you had to pay ebay...there wasn't any difference in a pentax 16-50 that i sold versus anyone else who sold legitimate items...so if the price seems too good to be true, most likely it isn't legitimate or someone is just trying clean out inventory fast...buyer beware!!!
amy

09-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
that makes sense no wonder why some or even most of the people who buy on ebay complain about items that happen to be bought as new.

i'll try to keep that in mind guys thanks for the tips!!!
09-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Greed

You all forgot another important reason that prices are inconsistent on eBay: Greed. I've seen eBay sellers offering brand new Pentax lenses for well above MSRP. Others at MSRP and some below MSRP.

Its not just that eBay sellers can't compete with high-volume dealers like B & H or Adorama. Some of these guys were (are) asking 25 percent (or more) ABOVE MSRP.