Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #1

K-x Question

How does the K-x stack up as an entry level DSLR? I know it's not exactly new anymore, but from what I've read I think it might work for me. Any thoughts please?

09-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As far as image quality goes - it's one of the best entry level cameras. Lacking in features, but it's got an amazing sensor. Build quality is quite good too.
09-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's my backup body. Very nice camera that generates very nice images. Features are stll excellent for an entry-level dSLR.
09-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #4

Excellent camera, capable of great shots. I've used mine extensively for low light theatre and dance, and I've started doing some BIF.

09-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have 2 K-x bodies & don't want for anything else. Image quality is superb, low-light capability is excellent, ergonomics are great, and it has good build quality. If image quality is your main priority (it is for me), it'll certainly do the job for you.
09-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback everyone Yes I'm after image quality, low light capability, more control, but don't want anything too big and expensive right now. I use it primarily outdoors during hiking and I'm sick of pulling out the tripod. I get some funny looks using a tripod with my little P&S... I love my little P&S as it is extremely versatile most of the time, but the sensor, manual mode and ISO noise isn't quite good enough for dawn/dusk, dark canyons, night landscapes and simple astrophotography.
09-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hchan Quote
Thanks for the feedback everyone Yes I'm after image quality, low light capability, more control, but don't want anything too big and expensive right now. I use it primarily outdoors during hiking and I'm sick of pulling out the tripod. I get some funny looks using a tripod with my little P&S... I love my little P&S as it is extremely versatile most of the time, but the sensor, manual mode and ISO noise isn't quite good enough for dawn/dusk, dark canyons, night landscapes and simple astrophotography.
I don't think the K-x will substantially lessen the need for a tripod vs. any other camera. You'll miss the tripod if you don't bring it. The K-x has perhaps two stops more ISO with similar noise levels vs. my K100d or K200d, and that would reduce my need for a tripod in perhaps 10% of cases. What a K-x vs. some other cameras might buy you is getting enough shutter speed to minimize wind-related movement, but it doesn't seem likely you'll often get enough to definitely eliminate camera movement.

Paul

Last edited by tibbitts; 09-29-2012 at 05:56 PM.
10-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up!

10-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You should have seen the looks I got when digiscoping with a Samsung point and shoot through a spotting telescope... I used a tripod occasionally with just the camera too, but not often and I rarely use one with my K-x, but then I don't do much that would be workable with a tripod. If I did I'd miss a lot of bird shots...

But tripod in other circumstances can be very helpful, so bring it along. Mine is always in the Jeep, even if it rarely gets pulled out.

As far as the K-x, it's a great entry level camera. Mine has been excellent, I've gotten loads of very nice shots with it, I'd love to have 2...one with a telephoto, one with a 50mm. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat for anyone thinking about getting into digital. I've seen what it can do compared with other brands, and I'm glad I got the K-x. Mine is fried right now, so I'm using a bridge camera and film a lot until I can afford the repairs, and it's driving me nuts. I've been looking around at used ones too, always the K-x.. I'd look into others too, K 7, K 5, but can't afford them. That doesn't bother me though, knowing what the K-x can do I'll be plenty satisfied with mine fixed or another used one.
10-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I just sold my K-x to fund a K5... If I could have afforded to keep it I definitely would have... Cracking first dslr IMO...
10-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #11

Original Poster
I have a K-x on its way to me now... Can't wait!
10-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I like my K-x, especially when I get shots like this: Handheld.

10-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use it primarily outdoors during hiking and I'm sick of pulling out the tripod. I get some funny looks using a tripod with my little P&S...
Consider switching to a sturdy monopod with a small ballhead and a quick-release. That and a roll of double-sided Velcro 'tape' is my travel kit. They easily fit in carry-on luggage when collapsed and are lighter than any tripod worth taking into the field.

I use my monopod as a walking stick. It has been across the U.S., Europe and South America in both urban areas and mountains. Where tripods are banned in museums and must be checked at the door, few staff have made any issue over someone entering using a "walking stick".

The QR makes for fast mount and dismount - in fact, sometimes if I am in a hurry, I don't even lock the camera to the pod. I only use the ball head in two positions, landscape and portrait - all tilt and swivel movement is controlled by me - panning is smooth either for video or action stills. The ballhead typically doesn't have to be a huge super sturdy unit, as unlike a tripod, your hands are usually still on the camera supporting the weight. Once I mounted a small video camera, put the monopod at full extension and stuck the end behind my belt buckle to get above a crowd and capture a street performance.

If I need a truly steady platform for a long exposure, I use my Velcro tape to secure my monopod to a post, tree or park bench.

monopod (US$50-$70) + Giottos ball head (US$13) + Sima quick release (US$10) + 1m/36" double-sided Velcro (US$5)
10-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Great choice . I agree a monopod is a fantastic addition to a hiking photographer. Tip!! look for a telescoping walking stick with a hidden camera mount. Once you call it a monopod the price doubles. I just use a very small steel tripod head from a vintage tripod I bought from thrift store for the monopod top. Also a very descent video stabilizer if you close the telecope walking stick half way and angle the head to get a good center of gravity balance point with your camera. Don't hesitate to try manual lenses just go to the last menu option and change your aperture settings accordingly.

10-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

How does the K-x stack up as an entry level DSLR?
This is actually a more interesting question than I first realised...

Any digital SLR made by pretty much any manufacturer in the last five or so years would make a good 'entry level' DSLR... Yes the low-light capability of the K-x on its release was pretty astounding (and I loved mine) but when looking at IQ on the whole, you will get great results from older cameras from all manufacturers...

I'm currently looking for a camera for my missus as an upgrade to the fuji-HS10... You'd think that we'd get her a pentax and share lenses, but she pointed out that we often shoot similar stuff and would for instance be 'fighting over the 100mm macro'...

The body that's standing out on the used market for us (for her cos I'm not bloody switching brands!!) is the Canon 450D... A twin kit (the two standard zooms) plus a 50-1.8 for portraits and a Tammy 90mm macro are coming in cheaper than anything else both on the used market. The IQ increase over the Fuji is vast and diferences in 'real world shooting' between brands of DSLR in the same bracket are 'much of a muchness'

Just to be clear... Once she shoots Canon I shall be leaving her (no... I won't)