Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

2 Lens Recognition problems

1: In pictures taken with my K-5 + Sigma 10-20 f3.5 Lightroom 4 shows the lens as Sigma 70-200 f2.8 macro??? Focal length is always right though...

2: Lens recognition fails in approx. 70% of the pictures taken with my K-01.

Any advice?

09-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You are only guaranteed to get the correct lens information transferred from the lens to the camera, and hence to your digital photo if you use a Pentax lens. This is because the camera is only set up for Pentax lenses. All that is passed across is a code number. Non-Pentax lens manufacturers reverse engineer the codes to one that is equivalent to a Pentax lens. If there is no equivalent then any thing could happen.

Regards

Chris Stone
09-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, thank's Chris, Sigma issue solved.

But why does my K-01 fail to recognize the lens 70 % of the time with Pentax lenses.
09-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Finntax Quote
1: In pictures taken with my K-5 + Sigma 10-20 f3.5 Lightroom 4 shows the lens as Sigma 70-200 f2.8 macro??? Focal length is always right though...
Run some JPG's through Exiftool to see what it displays for your various lenses. That could be interesting.

Anyway, if the lens display info is wrong that's of little consequence. As long as the focal length is right. Just make sure you manually apply the right optical corrections for the specific lens in Lightroom.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Non-Pentax lens manufacturers reverse engineer the codes to one that is equivalent to a Pentax lens.
Hmmm. There seem to be lots of lens codes around that are specific to third party lenses:
Pentax Tags

why does my K-01 fail to recognize the lens 70 % of the time with Pentax lenses.
I don't get it. How do you know the body isn't recognising Pentax lenses?

10-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you try cleaning the lens contacts? And are you talking about old manual lenses or modern Pentax lenses?
10-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I don't get it. How do you know the body isn't recognising Pentax lenses?
Well with K-5 the lens information is available in Lightroom with all of my lenses, but with K-01 in 70% of the images the lens information isn't available. So what else could be the reason that the lens information is missing from the images taken with my K-01, but not the ones taken with K-5?

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Did you try cleaning the lens contacts? And are you talking about old manual lenses or modern Pentax lenses?
Contacts are clean. This happens with all the lenses that you can find from my signature.
10-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

So what else could be the reason that the lens information is missing from the images taken with my K-01, but not the ones taken with K-5?
I suggest you test this out by examining a set of straight-out-of-camera K-01 JPGs (or DNG's) shot using each of the Pentax lenses in question with exiftool. See what lens information exiftool reports for each image. Then compare that with what you see in Lightroom.

This will help isolate whether the issue is either (a) how the K-01 is recording the lens info in the JPGs or DNGs, or (b) how Lightroom is interpreting the lens info recorded in the files created by the K-01.

If exiftool gets it right, the problem is with Lightroom and its lens info database.
10-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The camera simply takes the code number in the lens and passes it through to the Exif. If your software interprets that number incorrectly, take it up with the manufactorers of the software.

10-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went to check my K-01 photos in lightroom and it also doesn't tell what lens it is (but it does with K-r and same lenses) I don't have my K-01 with me to do more tests, but maybe the camera just doesn't record the lens info or records it in a way that doesn't get read properly. Can anyone else test this? Maybe this needs to be fixed in a firmware update.
10-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Maybe this needs to be fixed in a firmware update.
Well, note what Marc says. It needs to be established first if it is a software (Lightroom) issue.

If exiftool or something like PhotoMe get it right, but Lightroom doesn't, it may not be a K-01 issue at all.
10-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

There are potentially two different fields in which lens info can be stored. Seems like one camera might write to both, the other only to one, and LR is looking at the wrong one. You definitely want to poke around with something like photome or exiftool to really understand what is going on.