Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

Shake reduction

Reading the manual (K-30):

"The Shake Reduction function will not fully work when shooting with a very
slow shutter speed, for example when panning or capturing images of night
scenes. In this case, it is recommended to deactivate the Shake Reduction
function and use the camera with a tripod.
"

Is it really necessary to deactivate SR when using tripod, and why? I mean are there any downsides if you just leave it on?

09-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes. The SR mechanism will try to correct for non-existent movement.
09-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drawbar Quote
Reading the manual (K-30):

"The Shake Reduction function will not fully work when shooting with a very
slow shutter speed, for example when panning or capturing images of night
scenes. In this case, it is recommended to deactivate the Shake Reduction
function and use the camera with a tripod."

Is it really necessary to deactivate SR when using tripod, and why? I mean are there any downsides if you just leave it on?
SR will ALWAYS try to engage, even if the camera is entirely stable. That means the sensor will shift, and you'll wind up with a less than optimal photo.
09-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drawbar Quote

If you use a very light and unstable tripod then leave it ON. On a better tripod always turn it OFF. Even better, use the 2s delay that automatically turns SR OFF and waits 2 secs before firing the shutter, giving the entire system a little time to stabilize from vibrations. A remote release (wired, IR or remote trigger) can help even more especially with longer focal lengths.

The SR system was designed to correct handheld (or monopod) movements like up-down, left-right shifts and rotations. When on a stable tripod, if there is any residual movement from wind or vibrations, it will have very different signature form handheld. The SR system will try to correct it assuming handheld and the results will be worse.

09-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Yep, it's like they all said, I never seem to get to threads where I do know the answer (that's not often) quick enough to be the first correct reply.
09-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
The SR system was designed to correct handheld (or monopod) movements like up-down, left-right shifts and rotations.
Are you pretty certain it's better to use SR on a monopod? Since I haven't used my monopod much (but anticipate I will be in the near future) I've never tested this. I'd always assumed monopod movement would we too dissimilar from handheld.
09-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

In use a Manfrotto 680B monopod with a 234 head and I always turn off the SR same as I would for tripod. Monopods tend to be pretty stable when used correctly, but give it a whirl for yourself and see how you get on.
09-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I look forward to the day when I will need to turn off SR for a tripod

09-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Are you pretty certain it's better to use SR on a monopod? Since I haven't used my monopod much (but anticipate I will be in the near future) I've never tested this. I'd always assumed monopod movement would we too dissimilar from handheld.
Well, nothing is certain, but a monopod will basically prevent up and down motion only. You can still move the entire system left and right in a slight orbital motion. This motion is similar to handheld with the up/down component removed, so it should benefit from SR.

I always leave SR ON with my Manfrotto 679B monopod and I never noticed SR induced artifacts.
09-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #10

Original Poster
demp10:
"Even better, use the 2s delay that automatically turns SR OFF and waits 2 secs before firing the shutter, giving the entire system a little time to stabilize from vibrations."

Very good advice. Thanks!