Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery Grip K-20

I have a K20 which is equipped with the D-BG2 battery grip. The question I have is one of erratic functionality.

For some time, had noticed when using the camera in "portrait" position (and using the shutter release on the battery grip) the shutter didn't always work...although if you moved to the body mounted shutter release button, the shutter functioned without fail. The worrisome aspect of this problem is that the issue with the battery grip shutter release is erratic and sometimes it will work flawlessly. I've tried cleaning the contacts, once thought it related to a problem with the "wheels" but nothing seems to make a difference...the issue is that it is an erratic incident which doesn't make sense to me. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Al

10-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think I occasionally nudge one of my dials on the battery grip to a half way point. When this happens I sometimes lose aperture or shutter speed control, but I can see how that might affect other things too. Turning the BG dials one click seems to fix it for me, and I don't even miss a beat now, but the first time it happened I was sure my camera was going to have to go in for repair. You should also make sure the grip is screwed very securely into the body.
10-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure if this is the exact problem but there is a known, occasional problem with the BG-2 on some lenses (or so I recall) that if say you turn on the grip before you turn on the camera, sometimes things wont work. I can't recall the specifics now, but I just got accustomed occasionally finding that things wouldn't work and would turn off the camera and grip then turn the camera on then the grip and that would solve the problem. YMMV
10-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There have been occasional little oddities with the grip. Nothing too major though. My first one had a touchy ON/OFF switch and shutter button. I was able to adjust it some, but it still wasn't 100%. You may just have a little too much, or not enough, play in your switch. First make sure your dials aren't between detents, as suggested above, because that is the cause of 99% of issues with the grip. Then the next time it doesn't fire, see if wiggling the button a bit gets it to work. In my case, it just wasn't always hitting the contact inside. If so, some adjustment inside is needed. As an aside, also check the pins that make contact with the body and see if any are sticking (one should rest lower than the others but they should all compress and spring back easily).

10-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Had a similar problem once with the grip on the K-7. I removed the grip once and re-attached it. It went away. Came back a week later. Did the same. Went away. It's been gone ever since... I dont know how helpful any of this is :/
10-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #6

Still sounds like an electrical contact problem - what did you clean the contacts with?
10-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated and it gives me solace in that I'm not alone with this seeming oddity. Also, your suggestions confirm a commonality to the diagnositic process.

Blackcloudbrew, your suggestion is intriguing in that I've generally left the battery grip in the "on" position and use the body switch as a main controller. For the next round I will turn everything off and turn the grip on last and see if there is a difference.

Verruckt, the contact cleaner I used was some aerosol "electrical contact cleaner" that we had "at the office" to clean computer VGA cable connections. So, just made a Q-tip wet and used a drilling action on the camera body and then an overall "wipe" across the battery grip pins. In all honesty, was concerned that the cleaner may take excessive lubricant from the pins and in my paranoia worried the pins would subsequently stick down in their respective "bores". I've continued to check the recoil of the pins and they all come up to their limit each time so my concerns were unfounded.

Thanks again. Al
11-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I'm not sure if this is the exact problem but there is a known, occasional problem with the BG-2 on some lenses (or so I recall) that if say you turn on the grip before you turn on the camera, sometimes things wont work. I can't recall the specifics now, but I just got accustomed occasionally finding that things wouldn't work and would turn off the camera and grip then turn the camera on then the grip and that would solve the problem. YMMV
A little follow up; took this operating suggestion and during a most recent outing, the grip shutter release worked flawlessly. Didn't matter which shutter button or orientation I selected, not a moments hestitation! Thanks for a great solution. @