Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Choosing the right lens.

I am new to photography. I have taken pictures for years but with a small personal camera. I now have the Pentax kx and I love it. I have the 18-55 and the 55-200 for lenses. I am wanting buy a lens that will allow more light being that I take photos at Wedding Receptions. So I am trying to figure out what would be the best choice.

10-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you plan to take photos at weddings as a guest? Or are people asking you to help take pictures?

Do you know where you can take pictures from at the wedding? For example, will you get to choose your seat?
10-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hot-shoe mounted flash will help a lot. It can be quite dim at wedding receptions and even with a 50/1.4 shooting without a flash can be difficult. For fast lenses, check out the DA50, DA35/2.4 and the FA Limiteds ($$$).
10-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
For fast lenses, check out the DA50, DA35/2.4 and the FA Limiteds ($$$).
Good advice. Also, if you're on a really limited budget, pick up an (used) A50/1.7 first. You'll have to deal with manual focus, but it'll show you just how much difference a "brighter" lens makes, and it has very nice image quality.

10-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

How deep and filled are your pockets? I've heard that the 16-50 and the 50-135 are THE wedding lens duo for Pentax, but I have no personal experience with the two.
10-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'll add the DA*55 and then the non-pentax fast primes: Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 50/1.4, Sigma 28/1.8, Sigma 24/1.8. There are more if you want to go wider or longer, or don't care about AF. If $$$ isn't an issue, I'd go with the FA31. If that is too pricey, try to splurge for the FA43 or one of the Sigma lenses.
10-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I recommend a flash. People at a reception won't mind. Shooting at wide apertures without flash poses severe challenges:
  • low shutter speeds can be compromised by hand shake and subject motion
  • very shallow depth of field (difficult to get one subject in focus, more than one is unlikely)
  • high ISO noise is unavoidable
  • compromised lens performance wide open

Fast lenses are great and I highly recommend you get one, but a flash will provide superior results for what you're trying to do. A flash bracket is great for this purpose, but only if you don't mind looking like a pro. I've done three weddings as the main (only) photographer, but I'm no pro, and I can assure you, looking like a pro can be a bit uncomfortable.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-02-2012 at 10:01 AM.
10-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

audiobomber has the right idea.

a flash may be less expensive as well., compared to a super fast lens, AND since you specifically mention pictures at receptions, and not the actual wedding (or as a wedding photographer) needing an ultra fast lens for artistic purposes is not required.

one additional point to mention about trying to get away with a fast lens and no flash is the white balance. receptions will be poorly lit, with different color balance bulbs, possibly odd colored spot lights for dances etc. a flash can help keep colors natural.

look for one that has a cable connection for the shoe as this can get the flash off the axis of the lens and reduce or eliminate red eye
10-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Flash is good... Total game changer...
But glass can change the game too... Personally the move into prime lenses was the best thing for my photography...

My first prime was a fast fifty - But I'd go with a 35mm (FA35 f2 being my most used lens) DA35 2.4 gives more than enough speed with the K-x's sensor in my opinion...
10-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by randyofsa Quote
I am new to photography............ I am wanting buy a lens that will allow more light being that I take photos at Wedding Receptions. So I am trying to figure out what would be the best choice.
Assuming that you are not the official wedding photographer, using a flash will get the official photographer upset and using a prime lens will be awkward as you will need to be somewhat candid.

The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens is sometimes called 'the wedding photographers lens'. Its reasonably fast, constant aperture and relatively inexpensive. If I were new to photography, its what I would get.