Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

Dropped camera...

Dropped my K200D camera, by mistake of course...now I can only properly expose a photo in Manual mode. Autofocus works, but any auto exposure settings do not work. The camera gives off wildly incorrect shutter speeds and every photo is so underexposed as to be almost black. Some may just say "You should only shoot in fully manual mode anyway" :-) True but kinda defeats the purpose of all the modes on that dial that I paid for. Anyone have any suggestions? And if it is to "send it back" or send it to get fixed what is the best avenue for this? Sorry if this has been asked before...

Steve

10-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ouch!
Unfortunately I think it will need to go in for service. I cannot think of anything user serviceable that would cause that. Sounds like the meter is not longer working, maybe.

Here is a link for the Pentax approved repair center: Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services: Digital Camera Repair: Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Sigma You could also try a local shop if you have anyone that will repair Pentax.

The bad news is that the repair may cost more than the camera is worth. Good Luck.
10-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you really really love that camera, get it fixed. It's cheaper than buying a new one, though perhaps not by much. If you liked the camera but thought about a new one before, get a new one - perhaps the last of the K-5's. And use the strap.
10-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks...sounds like it might be time for a new camera

10-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
And use the strap.
Words of wisdom that I catch myself forgetting now & then.
10-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I offer no help I'm afraid but the same thing happened to my K5. Fell backwards on a tripod on to cobble stones slightly denting the hot shoe and a tiny scuff by the AE-L button. Thought it would be fine. How wrong I was, it simply cannot meter anymore and over exposes by miles or gives me ISO 1600 at f8 in broad daylight. Sounds the same as yours only in the other direction of exposure.
Of course manual is fine so it's been relegated to a back up and or on board flash/studio flash beater. Never found out the repair cost but my guess would be half the price I paid for a new body.