Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Help with K-5 Focal Point

I just got my K-5 and I’m still learning all the great features of the camera. One thing has me stumped and I could use a little help from a fellow K-5’er.
I know the camera has an eleven point auto focus system but I either have it set wrong or don’t understand it completely. On a friends Canon 6D, the ‘Red Dot’ in the view finder will move from one focal point to another each time you press the shutter button down half way so you can select the focal point you want. But on my K-5 the Red Dot stays in the center. Is there a setting on the camera to make it work how I described the Canon?

10-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a button on the back of the camera labelled AF. Around that there's a rotating switch with three positions. They choose how the AF points operate. The top position is center-point only. The bottom is Auto, where the camera chooses one point. The center one allows you to choose a point. Put that switch on SEL and you can use the 4-way controller arrows to choose a point. There's some customization to choose how the AF button or half-press of the shutter works, but that's the general idea. Page 127 of the manual.
10-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
I followed the instructions on page 127 exactly as you descibed but all the 4-way did was change the lighting type (bright, outdoors, tongston, etc). I must have re-read that section 5 times and always got the same results. I don have the camera with me but I'll try it again tonight. Thanks
10-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BobbyA Quote
On a friends Canon 6D, the ‘Red Dot’ in the view finder will move from one focal point to another each time you press the shutter button down half way so you can select the focal point you want.
That's quite amazing because the 6D isn't to be released until December. So either he has a different model number, or he's a beta tester (which would also explain the odd behavior! Who'd want the focus point to change every time you press the shutter half-way down!!?).

10-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I followed the instructions on page 127 exactly as you descibed but all the 4-way did was change the lighting type (bright, outdoors, tongston, etc). I must have re-read that section 5 times and always got the same results.
You have to press and hold the button in the center of the 4-way until the mode changes to focus point selection. It will stay in that mode until you press and hold it again.
10-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, in auto setting on the dial with the green grid icon will do it. In fact I think the K5 actually shows multiple focus spots if it picks up multiple subjects within close proximity to each other. I never tested to see if it tries to focus such that all focus points remain in focus for the aperture setting, or if that only happens because they are in focus already.

I suspect Pentax focusing is rather dumb and is the latter... whereas I believe one of my point and shoots tries to keep multiple locations in focus if possible. (But thats also why I prefer single point focus. I never know who/what is going to be chosen by the technology.) :-)
10-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Those little red squares are not the actual focus points. More of an indicator. The actual focus points are far far larger. The center focus point stretches out to the () spot metering markings which you can use quite accurately as a focus point.

10-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks to all. That makes alot more sence now. I'll try it when I get home.

As for the Canon, I may have the model number wrong. It had a six in there some where and afterall its a Canon so really cares !! lol
10-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It all seems very daunting when you are starting out. All the of the bits start to fall into place like a jigsaw. You see your photography improve with more understanding as you learn. Its an enjoyable and rewarding process though. You have a superb camera to learn with too. The good side is you are not likely to outgrow it as you learn. Enjoy !
10-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
You have a superb camera to learn with too. The good side is you are not likely to outgrow it as you learn. Enjoy !
Great point and so right. What a great camera.
10-10-2012, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
You have to press and hold the button in the center of the 4-way until the mode changes to focus point selection. It will stay in that mode until you press and hold it again.
I can see why the OP had trouble with this. The three-position switch gets you into focus-point selection mode, but the OK button button bumps you back out of it, so the controller can be used for drive mode, flash, WB, or JPG parameters. When you watch the rear LCD, it's a little clearer what the OK button is doing here. I wouldn't have noticed it by the way the manual presents it.
10-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Those little red squares are not the actual focus points. More of an indicator. The actual focus points are far far larger. The center focus point stretches out to the () spot metering markings which you can use quite accurately as a focus point.
he, he, yeah a few years ago I did a test of where the focus areas where. The areas were not at all what I had expected.

Just take a sheet of paper with a clear black dot on it, put your camera in continuous auto focus and move the dot around. You'll be able to determine where the edges of the focus "points" are.

One of my camera's focus points were mis-aligned such that all focus areas were down and left of center.
This helped me find the actual center spot. Sort of a pain in the arse kludge but I did not have to send the camera in for repair and be without it for 8-12 weeks. :-)
10-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

As for the Canon, I may have the model number wrong. It had a six in there some where and afterall its a Canon so really cares !! lol
Sorry I gave you such a hard time about the model number! It was probably a 60D or something.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I can see why the OP had trouble with this.
It was easy for me to recognize, because this still gives me problems! I change the focus point regularly, but I often find that I've inadvertently switched it out of this mode.
10-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
he, he, yeah a few years ago I did a test of where the focus areas where. The areas were not at all what I had expected.

Just take a sheet of paper with a clear black dot on it, put your camera in continuous auto focus and move the dot around. You'll be able to determine where the edges of the focus "points" are.

One of my camera's focus points were mis-aligned such that all focus areas were down and left of center.
This helped me find the actual center spot. Sort of a pain in the arse kludge but I did not have to send the camera in for repair and be without it for 8-12 weeks. :-)
Yes that is the way I did it. The trick is not to pick too small a target to focus on. Like focus on the face rather than an eye, as it may focus on the nose or ear or simply miss altogether and focus on the background. Its the biggest cause and reason for people thinking they have back or front focussing problems.
10-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #15

Original Poster
OK, I went home and sure enough it worked like a charm. Exactly what I was looking for. If I have one complaint its that the K-5 Owners Manual could have been a little clearer on how to operate this feature. In fact I have found examples of the manual not being very clear. Thanks for the help guys.