Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 + flash on camera and AF problem

Greetings to all. I have a problem with my K-5. In practice, when I mount a flash on camera (p-ttl), the green LED that support AF stops working, and led from flash replaces it. So the AF with low light slows down drastically.
Has anyone ever experienced this penalty?

10-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which flash? My Metz does the same thing but I think the AF assist light on the flash is more powerful than the one on the camera. Seems to work better for me anyway.
10-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The flash (I have the AF 360FGZ) is supposed to switch over. I seem to recall that the beam from the flash is supposed to have more infrared, which looks dimmer but is actually easier for the AF system. In my experience, the red beam seems to work pretty well.

I'm wondering if you might be comparing the K-5 with built-in flash in brighter conditions, to the K-5 with the external flash in dimmer conditions? Just a thought.
10-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
The flash (I have the AF 360FGZ) is supposed to switch over. I seem to recall that the beam from the flash is supposed to have more infrared, which looks dimmer but is actually easier for the AF system. In my experience, the red beam seems to work pretty well.

I'm wondering if you might be comparing the K-5 with built-in flash in brighter conditions, to the K-5 with the external flash in dimmer conditions? Just a thought.
Thanks for replies guys.
Tanzer i just compared in equal light conditions, my flash is a Metz 58 AF2.
During my last wedding i noticed the trouble much more.
I think that will send my Metz in assistance.

10-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vinfer Quote
my flash is a Metz 58 AF2.
Are you using the latest Metz firmware? That might fix the problem, without requiring you to send the unit away:
Firmware Download Flash Units: Metz